The relatively simple in implementation the pulsed electrical discharge method as an alternative to the gas atomization was performed for the production of powders of shape memory alloys such as Ti-Ni-based, Ni-Al, Cu-Al-Ni, Ni-Mn-Ga as well as the glass-forming alloy Zr-Ni-Cu-Ti-Al and pure Ti. Several methods have used to analyze the powder size distribution spanning from ordinary sieving and laser diffraction to SEM studying. The most effective SEM method gave the information both for powder sizes distribution and morphology of submicron and micron sized particles. The analysis of SEM images has shown that there are several peculiarities both in the powder size distributions and cumulative distributions. That features reflect the action of several mechanisms of the powder particles formation sized between several micrometers to hundred micrometers. In particularly the powders particles size is in average more in powders obtained in liquid nitrogen than in liquid argon independent on the materials of powder. As well that the number of hollows particles sized between 10 and 50 μm is much more in powders obtained in liquid nitrogen.
- Berkowitz A.E., Hansen M.F., Parker F.T. et al, Amorphous soft magnetic particles produced by spark erosion, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 254-255, 2003, 1.
- Berkowitz A.E., Harper H. , Smith D.J. et al. Hollow metallic microspheres produced by spark erosion, Applied physics letters, 85(6), 2004, 940.
- Solomon V.C., Hong J.I. , Tang Y.J. , Berkowitz A.E., Electron microscopy investigation of spark-eroded Ni–Mn–Ga ferromagnetic shape-memory alloy particles, Scripta Materialia. 56(7), 2007, 593 .
- Monastyrsky G.E., Shpak А.P, Koval Yu.N., et al, Powders of Ni- Ti-Cu-(Zr) alloys produced by spark erosion and undergoing martensitic transformation, Metallofizika i novejshije tehnologiji 25(6), 2003, 803.
- Monastyrsky G.E., Ochin P., Wang G.Y., Gilchuk A.V., et al Effect of particle size on the chemical composition of Ti–Ni-base spark erosion powder obtained in liquid argon. Chem Met Alloys, 4, 2011, 188.
- Monastyrsky G.E., Yakovenko P.A., Kolomytsev V.I. et al, Characterization of spark-eroded shape memory alloy powders obtained in cryogenic liquids. Mat. Sci. Eng. A, 2008, 481-482, 643.
- Monastyrsky GE, Kolomytsev VI, Koval YuM et al: Strukturnye issledovaniya poroshkov iz splavov s effektom pamyati formy na osnove Ti–Ni–Hf, poluchennyh metodom elektroiskrovoy erozii v zhidkom argone, Metallofizika i Noveishie Tekhnologii, 33, 2011, 289.
- Monastyrsky G.E., Ochin P. Gilchuk A.V. at all The role of nano-sized fraction on spark plasma sintering the pre-alloyed spark-erosion powders, Journal of Nano- and Electronic Physics, 4(1), 2012, 1007-1.
- Monastyrsky G.E. Nanoparticles formation mechanisms through the spark erosion of alloys in cryogenic liquids, Nanoscale Research Letters, 10, 2015, 503.
- Monastyrsky GE, P Ochin, Wang GY, Kolomytsev VI, Yu.N. Koval et al (2011) Structure and composition of titanium spark erosion powder obtained in liquid nitrogen. Chem Met Alloys, 4(1/2), 2011,126.
- Monastyrsky GE, Koval YuN, Shpak AP et al Shape memory alloy powders production by spark erosion methods. Powder metallurgy, 5(6), 2007, 3.
- Berkowitz AE, Walter JL Spark erosion: A method for producing rapidly quenched fine powders. J Mater Res 2. 1987, 277, 1987.