Porous materials are very efficient in absorbing mechanical energy, for instance, in combined armor, in order to improve the anti-ballistic protection characteristics. In the present study, porous titanium-based structures were manufactured via powder metallurgy methods using titanium hydride (TiH2) powder, which provided activated sintering, owing to dehydrogenation. The emission of hydrogen and shrinkage of powder particles on dehydrogenation also added a potential to control the sintering process and create desirable porosities. TiH2 powder was sintered with additions of ammonium as pore holding removable agents. The microstructures and porosities of sintered dehydrogenated titanium with different concentration ammonium were comparatively studied. Mechanical characteristics were evaluated using compression testing with strain rates varying from quasi-static to high levels. All testing methods were aimed at characterizing the energy-absorbing ability of the obtained porous structures. The desired strength, plasticity and energy-absorbing characteristics of porous titanium based structures were assessed, and the possibilities of their application were also discussed.
- Banhart, J. Manufacture, Characterization and application of cellular metals and metal foams. Prog. Mater. Sci. 2001, 46, 559– 632.
- Dmitruk, A.; Naplocha, K.; Pach, J.; Pyka, D.; Ziółkowski, G.; Bocian, M.; Jamroziak, K. Experimental and Numerical Study of Ballistic Resistance of Composites Based on Sandwich Metallic Foams. Appl. Compos. Mater. 2021, 28, 2021– 2044.
- Gaitanaros, S.; Kyriakides, S. On the effect of relative density on the crushing of open-cell foams under impact and energy absorption. Int. J. Impact Eng. 2015, 82, 3–13.
- Zhang, X.X.; Hou, H.W.; Wei, L.S.; Chen, Z.X.; Wei, W.T.; Geng, L. High damping capacity in porous NiTi alloy with bimodal pore architecture. J. Alloys Compd. 2013, 550, 297–301.
- Ye, B.; Dunand, D.C. Titanium foams produced by solid-state replication of NaCl powders. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 2010, 528, 691–697.
- Jha, N.; Mondal, D.P.; Dutta Majumdar, J.; Badkul, A.; Jha, A.K.; Khare, A.K. Highly porous open cell Ti-foam using NaCl as temporary space holder through powder metallurgy route. Mater. Des. 2013, 47, 810–819.
- Suzuki, A.; Kosugi, N.; Takata, N.; Kobashi, M. Microstructure and compressive properties of porous hybrid materials consisting of ductile Al/Ti and brittle Al3Ti phases fabricated by reaction sintering with space holder. Mater. Sci. Eng. A 2020, 776, 139000.
- Ivasishin, O.M.; Anokhin, V.M.; Demidik, A.N.; Savvakin, D.G. Cost-Effective Blended Elemental Powder Metallurgy of Titanium Alloys for Transportation Application. Key Eng. Mater. 2000, 188, 55–62.
- Ivasishin, O.M.; Moxson, V.S. Low cost titanium hydride powder metallurgy. In Titanium Powder Metallurgy, Science, Technology and Applications; Qian, M., Froes, S.H., Eds.; Butterworth-Heinemann; Elsevier: Oxford, UK, 2015; Chapter 8, pp. 117–148.
- Sun, Y.; Li, Q.M. Dynamic compressive behaviour of cellular materials: A review of phenomenon, mechanism and modelling. Int.J. Impact Eng. 2018, 112, 74–115. [CrossRef]
- Gibson, L.; Ashby, M. Cellular Solids: Structure and Properties; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 1997
- O.M. Ivasishin, D.G. Savvakin, V.S. Moxson, V.A. Duz, C. Lavender. Production of Titanium Components from Hydrogenated Titanium Powder: Optimization of Parameters. Ti- 2007 Science and Technology: Proceedings of 11th World Conference on Titanium (Kyoto, Japan) / Eds. M.Niinomi, S.Akiyama et al. – Sendai: Japan Institute of Metals, 2007. Vol.1. p.757-760.
- Г.А. Баглюк, О.М. Iвасишин, O.O. Стасюк, Д.Г. Саввакiн. Вплив компонентного складу шихти на структуру та властивості спечених титаноматричних композитів з високомодульними сполуками. Порошкова металургія, 2017. №1/2. С. 59-69.
- G.А. Bagliuk, O.О. Stasiuk. Microstructure and mechanical properties of P/M titanium matrix composites reinforced with TiB. International Scientific Journal Materials Science. Non-Equilibrium Phase Transformations, 2018. Vol.4. p.133-138.
- D.G. Savvakin, S.V. Prikhodko, M.V. Matviychuk, O.M. Ivasishin, Fabrication of Layered Ti6Al-4V Plates by Cold Isostatic Pressing Powder Metallurgy for Anti-Ballistic Protection Application, ITA-2017 Conference, 8-11 Oct 2017, Miami, USA.
- O.M. Ivasishin, V.T. Cherepin, V.N. Kolesnik, N.M. Humenyak. Automatichesky dilatometrichesky complex. Pribory i tekhnika experimenta 3, 2010, p. 147–151.
- Д.Г. Саввакін, М.М. Гуменяк, М.В. Матвійчук, О.Г. Моляр. Роль водню під час спікання титанових порошків. Фізико-хімічна механіка матеріалів, 2011. C. 72-81.
- M. Qian. Cold compaction and sintering of titanium and its alloys for near-netshape and preform fabrication. Int. Journal of Powder Metallurgy 46 (5), 2010. p. 29–44.
- J.R. Davis (Ed), Tensile Testing, 2nd Edition, 2004, ASM International. p. 283.