Electron beam irradiation has the ability to modify polymer substrates by the process of graft copolymerization in order to synthesize water-soluble copolymers having flocculating properties. The influence of the variation of the process parameters acrylamide/starch (AMD/St) weight ratio, electron beam irradiation dose and dose rate is investigated. Models of the means and variances for the dependencies of the quality characteristics (monomer conversion coefficient, residual monomer concentration and apparent viscosity) from the described process parameters are estimated by implementation of the robust engineering methodology for quality improvement. Multi-criteria optimization involving requirements for economic efficiency, assurance of low toxicity and high copolymer efficiency in flocculation process is also presented.
- Suman D., Optimization in Chemical Engineering, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016, 1-11.
- Nemţanu M. R., Braşoveanu M., Polymer science: research advances, practical applications and educational aspects, ed. A Méndez-Vilas and A. Solano-Martín, Badajoz: Formatex Research Center, 2016, 270-277.
- Craciun G., Manaila E., Niculescu M., Ighigeanu D., Obtaining a new type of polyelectrolyte based on acrylamide and hydrolyzed collagen by electron beam irradiation, Polymer Bulletin, 74(4), 2017, 1299 – 1326.
- Stephen C. Lapin, Modification of Polymer Substrates using Electron Beam Induced Graft Copolymerization, UV+EB Technology • Issue 1, 2015, 44-49.
- M.M. Nasef, Radiation-grafted copolymers for separation and purification purposes: Status, challenges and future directions, Progress in Polymer Science, 37, 2012, 1597– 1656.
- Koleva E., Vuchkov I., Model-based approach for quality improvement of EBW applications in mass production, Vacuum, 77, 2005, 423-428
- Vuchkov I. N, Boyadjieva L. N., Quality improvement with design of experiments, The Netherlands, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- Najafi S., Salmasnia A., Kazemzadeh R. B., Optimization of robust design for multiple response problem, AJBAS, 5/9, 2011, 1566-1577.