Study on the possibilities for the industrial water purification from heavy metal ions
- 1 University of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2 Technical University of Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria
Among the various methods for water purification and treatment from contaminated industrial pollutants, one of the most used is the adsorption methods based on activated carbons. The purpose of our study is to investigate the correlation between the porous texture and chemical nature of the surface and sorption capacity of the activated carbon, obtained based on lignite coal. The object of the study is also to determine its effectiveness as a sorbent for Cd-ions purification of contaminated industrial water. The obtained data from the conducted investigation show that the adsorbent based on such kind of activated carbon has good qualities for water purification from various pollutants and heavy metals
- Yin C.Y., M.K. Aroua, W.M.A.W. Daud, Review of modifications of activated carbon for enhancing contaminant uptakes from aqueous solutions, Separ. Purif. Technol. 52, 2007, 403-415.
- Rivera-Utrilla J., M. Sanchez-Polo, V. Gomez-Serrano, P.M. Alvarez, M.C.M. Alvim-Ferraz, J.M. Dias, Activated carbon modifications to enhance its water treatment applications: an overview, J. Hazard. Mater. 187, 2011, 1-23
- Bhatnagar A., William Hogland, Marcia Marques, Mika Sillanpää, An overview of the modification methods of activated carbon for its water treatment applications, Chemical Engineering Journal 219, 2013, 499-511.
- Mahmud, H.N.M.E.; ObidulHuq, K.; Yahya, R.B. The removal of heavy metal ions from wastewater/aqueous solution using polypyrrole-based adsorbents: A review. RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 14778–14791.
- Gao, Y.; Yue, Q.; Gao, B.; Sun, Y.; Wang, W.; Li, Q.; Wang, Y. Preparation of high surface area-activated carbon from lignin of papermaking black liquor by KOH activation for Ni(II) adsorption. Chem. Eng. J. 2013, 217, 345–353.
- Thuana, T.V.; Quynha, B.T.P.; Nguyena, T.D.; Ho, V.T.T.; Bach, L.G. Response surface methodology approach for optimization of Cu2+, Ni2+ and Pb2+ adsorption using KOH-activated carbon from banana peel. Surf. Interfaces 2017, 6, 209– 217.
- Budinova, T., N. Petrov, J. Parra, V. Baloutzov, Use of an activated carbon from antibiotic waste for the removal of Hg(II) from aqueous solution, Journal of Environmental Management 88 (2008), 165–172
- Maneerung, T.; Liew, J.; Dai, Y.; Kawi, S.; Chong, C.; Wang, C.-H. Activated carbon derived from carbon residue from biomass gasification and its application for dye adsorption: Kinetics, isotherms and thermodynamic studies. Bioresour. Technol. 2016, 200, 350–359.
- Foo, K.Y.; Hameed, B.H. Dynamic adsorption behavior of methylene blue onto oil palm shell granular activated carbon prepared by microwave heating. Chem. Eng. J. 2012, 203, 81–87.
- Nor, N.M.; Chung, L.L.; Teong, L.K.; Mohamed, A.R. Synthesis of activated carbon from lignocellulosic biomass and its applications in air pollution control—A review. J. Chem. Eng. 2013, 1, 658–666.
- Coughlin R., F. Ezrand, R. Tan, J Colloid Interface Sci 28 ,1968 ,386
- Mattson J, H Mark, Jr, „Activated Carbon―, Marcel Dekker, NY 1971
- Grahame D., Chem. Rev., 41 (1947) 441
- Staton J., R. Maatman, J. Coll Interface Sci 13 (1963) 132
- Huang C., Carbon Adsorption Handbook (Eds. P.N. Cheremisinoff and F. Ellerbush), Ann Arbor Science Pulb. Inc.,Michigan 1980 p.281
- Minkova V., M Razvigorova, M. Goranova, L. Ljutzkanova, G. Angelova Fuel,70 (1991) 713
- Ruschev D., E. Bekyarova, G. Shopova, Chemistry labolatory and technology on solid fuel. Ed. Technics, Sofia, 1981, (in Bulgarian)
- Noh, J., J. Schwarc, Carbon,28 (1990) 675
- Boehm H., Carbon 32 (1994), 759
- Greg S., К. Sing „ Adsorption, specific surface‖ Mir, Moskva 1984, (in Russian)
- Gurvich,L., Journal for Physical Chemistry, 47, 1915, 805.
- Karnauhov, A.P., Adsorption. Texture of Dispersion and Porous Materials, Novosibirsk, Science, 1999, (in Russian).
- Komarov, V.S, Adsorbents and their Properties, Minsk, Science and Technique, 1977, (in Russian).
- Dubinin, M.M., T.I. Isotova, O. Kadlets, O.L. Krainova, Not. AS Soviet Union, Ser. Chemistry, 1975, 1232, (in Russian).
- D. Mehandjiev, E. Bekyarova, R. Nikolov, Micropore Size Distribution by a Simplified Equation, Carbon, 32, 1994, 372-374.
- C. Pierce, J. Phys. Chem., 57, 1953, 149.27
- Daza L., S. Mendioroz , J Pajares, Carbon, 24 (1986) 33
- Brunelle, J., Pure Appl.Chem. 50 (1978) 211