VEHICLE ENGINES. APPLICATION OF FUELS TYPES. EFFICIENCY
Speciation of C5-C11 hydrocarbons generated by the HCCI gasoline exhaust gas engine
- 1 School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK.
- 2 Department of Mechanical Engineering, AL-Hussein Bin Talal University, Maan P.O.Box20, Jordan
HCCI , SI HYDROARBONE SPECIATION GDIA qualitative and quantitative analysis of toxic but currently non-regulated hydrocarbon chemical species ranging from C5 – C11 was studded which is generated from a modern gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine by using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC – MS). The GDI engine has been operated under different engine speeds and different engine modes (SI and HCCI modes). HCCI has the ability to operate on lean combustion which leads to the reduction in engine pumping losses, and fuel consumption However, HCCI mode has a high levels of unburnt HCs which leads to present heavier species such as Toluene, which is presented in higher concentrations under stoichiometric HCCI engine operation mode, while species such as , benzene, are mainly found in the engine exhaust during SI engine operation, Engine speeds has high impact on engine tail pipe emissions for both engine modes.. increasing engine speed leads to higher concentration in
Benzene species while toluene was decreased and presented in higher concentration at low engine speed for both engine modes.
- Hasan, A.O., Leung, P., Tsolakis, A., Golunski, S.E., Xu, H.M., Wyszynski, M.L., Richardson, S., 2011. Effect of composite aftertreatment catalyst on alkane, alkene and monocyclic aromatic emissions from an HCCI/SI gasoline engine. Fuel 90 (4), 1457-1464.
- Kaiser, E.W., Maricq, M., Xu, N., Yang, J., 2005. Detailed hydrocarbon species and particulate emissions from a HCCI engine as a function of airefuel ratio. SAE, 2005-01-3749.
- Tian, W., Xue, W., Zeng, Z., Shao, J., 2009. Kinetics of 2-methyl6-acetyl-naphthalene liquid phase catalytic oxidation. Chin. J. Chem. Eng. 17 (1), 72-77.
- Li H., Neil S. and Chippior W., (2007). An Experimental Investigation on the Emission Characteristics of HCCI Engine Operation Using N-Heptane, SAE Paper 2007-01-1854
- Zhao H., (2007). HCCI and CAI engines for the automotive industry, CRC Pres Cambridge England
- Battin-Leclerc, (2008). Detailed Chemical Kinetic Models for the Lo Temperature Combustion of Hydrocarbons with Application to Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Surrogates, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, vol. 34, pp. 440-495.
- Dec JE., Davisson ML., Leif RN., Sjoberg M., and Hwang W., (2008). Detailed HCC Exhaust Speciation and the Sources of HC and OHC Emissions, SAE Technical paper no. 2008-01-0053.
- Elghawi U., Misztal J., Tsolakis A., Wyszynski M., and Xu H., (2008). GC-MS Speciation and Quantification of 1,3-Butadien and Other C1-C6 Hydrocarbons in SI/HCC V6 Engine Exhaust, SAE Technical paper, no. 2008-01-0012.
- Farrugia J., and Olson K., (2005). Evaluation of a High Speed, High Resolution Gas Chromatography Instrument for Exhaust Hydrocarbon Speciation, SAE Paper 2005-01 0683.
- Farrugia J., and Olson K., (2007). Speciation of Hydrocarbons in Exhaust from Low Emission, Gasoline-Fuelled Vehicles by HighSpeed and Standard Gas Chromatography Methods, SAE Paper 2007-01-0305.