TRANSPORT. SAFETY AND ECOLOGY. LOGISTICS AND MANAGEMENT
Determination of pre-collision travel speed in the event of a frontal collision between a vehicle and a fixed obstacle, using video recordings
- 1 Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- 2 "Transilvania" University of Brașov, Romania
The present paper evaluates the pre-collision travel speed of a road vehicle, in the event of a frontal collision with a fixed object such as a pole. In this regard, the method of video recordings and image processing using Tracker software program is used. In order to validate the proposed method, the obtained results are compared to the ones acquired with the use of accelerometers mounted on the inferior surface of the vehicle’s body. These accelerometers provide a series of real data during the time of the crash, which are then processed in order to reduce the anomalies that appear as a consequence of external factors such as vibrations or signal interferences.
- *** Offset deformable barrier - OBD, New Car Assessment Programs (NCAP), https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-safety/the-ratings-explained/adult-occupantprotection/ offset-deformable-barrier/, (accessed at 27/05/2018).
- Cordoș, N., Burnete, N., Todoruț, A., Coliziunea automobilelor, (Editura Todesco, Cluj-Napoca, 2003).
- Todoruț, I.-A., Barabas, I., Burnete, N., Siguranța autovehiculelor și securitatea în transporturi rutiere, (U.T.Press Publishing, Cluj-Napoca, 2012).
- *** Fatality Facts 2018. Collisions with fixed objects and animals, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/collisions-with-fixed-objects-and-animals, (accessed at la 04/04/2020).
- *** Vehicle Safety 2018, European Road Safety Observatory, https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/sites/roadsafety/files/pdf/ ersosynthesis2018-vehiclesafety.pdf, (accessed at 04/04/2020).
- Dima, D.S., Cercetări privind dezvoltarea unor metode de analiză și reconstrucție a accidentelor rutiere, PhD thesis, Transilvania University of Brașov, (2018).
- Neale, W., Fenton, S., McFadden., S., Rose, N., A video tracking photogrammetry technique to survey roadways for accident reconstruction, SAE Technical Paper, (2004).
- Crouch, M., Cash, S., Video analysis in collision reconstruction, (Independent Publishing Network Ltd, London, 2017).
- Kolla, E., Ondrus, J., Vertal, P., Reconstruction of traffic situations from digital video-recording using method of volumetric kinetic mapping, (2019).
- Duma, I., Analysis of frontal collision between a road vehicle and a fixed obstacle, using numerical modelling and computational simulations methods, Bachelor's degree thesis, Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, (2018).