Very popular among the environment activists and public authorities, the rolling highways prove to have a poor commercial viability. Therefore, the paper tries to find the reasons for this fact. The analysis starts with the descriptions of the technical solutions, then the traffic volumes recorded on different transport relations / countries are presented, together with the main findings from the European experience. The trends are explained considering the operational issues, the transport costs, the factors influencing the demand, the state support and the railway regulations, as well as the requirements of the customers. Special comments are focused on the Romanian experience, indicating the operational issues specific to Romania, the necessity for state aids with intensities of 45 – 60% from the costs, as well as the savings in external costs. The main conclusions are that the rolling highways are environmentally friendly, but costly and that they could develop only if the public authorities implement appropriate support measures and aids.
- WENGER H., ‘L’UIRR à 30 ans. L’ histoire de l ’Union Internationale des Sociétés de Transport Combiné Rail-Route (UIRR ) et du Transport Combiné de Marchandises Rail – Route en Europe, de 1970 à 2000’, International Union for Road-Rail Combined Transport (UIRR), Brussels, (2001);
- ***, „Transports alpins. Les autoroutes ferroviaire alpines‟, Ministère de L‟Ecologie, Développement et de l'Aménagement Durables, Paris, France, 2007;
- SAINT PULGENT N., PELLEGRIN J., „Rapport d’enquette sur l’evaluation de l’autoroute ferroviaire alpine no. 2006-M-009-01‟, Inspection Generale des Finances, Paris, (2006);
- ***, ‘Intermodal Transport. National Peer Review: Turkey’, OECD Publications, Paris, (2009);
- ***, “Transportul feroviar de marfă în România. Studiu de piaţă’, Office of Competition - National Council for Monitoring the Railway Field, Bucharest, (2013);
- ***, Internet website of the Swiss Combined Transport Operator HUPAC, http://www.hupac.ch, visited at the dates of12/10/2010 and 08/04/2018;
- ***, ‘Projet de Service d’autoroute ferroviaire atlantique. Dossier de réponse de MODALOHR à la Consultation des concepteurs et constructeurs de matériels roulants’, MODALOHR S.A.S., Hangenbieten, (2008);
- ***, Internet website of the Lohr Company, http://lohr.fr/, visited at the dates of12/10/2010, 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet websites of the Eurotunnes Company, www.eurotunnel.com, visited at the date of 12/10/2010, respectively https://www.eurotunnelfreight.com/uk/home/, visited at the dates of 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet website of the company IGF INDUSTRIES – ARBEL FAUVET RAIL, http://www.a-f-r.fr/IGF_Industries- AFR/wagons_plats.htm, visited at the date 12/10/2010;
- FEDORINA A.V., TSYGANOV A.V., “An integrated approach to the implementation of piggyback transportation in Russia‟, in “Modern Problems of Russian Transport Complex’ 1(6) / 2015, Magnitogorsk State Technical University, Russia, p. 21 -28, (2015);
- ***, Internet website of the Dneprovagonmash company, http://www.dvmash.com/en/flat-cars/3-2010-06-15-13-11-10/9-13- 4095.html, visited at the date of 12/10/2010, respectively http://dvmash.biz/en/flat-cars/3-2010-06-15-13-11-10/9-13- 4095.html, visited at the date 08/06/2018;
- Internet website of the Uralvagonzavod company, http://uralvagonzavod.ru/product/74/109, visited at the date 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet website of the Indian Railway Company Konkan Railways, http://www.konkanrailway.com/, visited at the dates of 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- VRENKEN H., DASHCHENKO N., JIA J., “Study on introducing an intermodal (piggyback) transportation solution across the EU/CU border’, Final report, Contract between European Commission and EPRD Office for Economic Policy and Regional Development Ltd., No. 2012/306038/1, Kielce, Poland, (2013);
- ***, „RoLa wagon for transport of empty and loaded trucks. Technical Bulletin’, Greenbrier Europe, (2010);
- ***, ‘Vervoer van standaard. Mega-trailers op de trein. Bijlage 3: Gegevens van logistieke concepten’, ProRail, Hague, (2005);
- ***, Internet websites of the Alpine Railway Highway, http://www.ferralpina.com, visited at the date of 12/10/2010, respectively https://www.afalpina.com, visited at the date of 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet website of the Austrian Combined Transport Operator OKOMBI, http://www.okombi.at, visited at the date of 12/10/2010;
- ***, Internet website of the Swiss Combined Transport Operator RALPIN, http://www.ralpin.ch, visited at the dates of12/10/2010, 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021.
- ***, Internet website of the Austrian Railway Transport Operator Rail Cargo Austria, https://rola.railcargo.com/en/, visited at the dates of 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- KLOTCHKO R., “Все путем, но не тем, или Контрейлер как он есть‟, in Автоперевозчик 1 / 2010, Moscow, (2010);
- TĂNĂSUICĂ N.M., “Transporturile Ro-La între politicile de dezvoltare durab ilă şi viab ilitatea comerc ială. Comparaţie între situaţiile din România ş i alte ţări europene‟, in Buletinul AGIR no. 1/2012 – “Transporturile şi dezvoltarea regională’, Bucharest, p. 141-147, (2012);
- ***, Internet website of the Directorate General Competion, European Commission, http://ec.europa.eu/competition/elojade/isef/
- index.cfm, visited at 08/06/2018 and at the 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet website of the Austrian Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation, and Technology (BMK), https://www.bmvit.gv.at/verkehr/ gesamtverkehr/kombiverkehr/foerderung.html, visited at the dates of 08/06/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- ***, ‘Rapport public annuel 2012. Tome I - Les Observations’, Cour des Comptes, Paris, France, (2012);
- ***, “Rapport public annuel 2017. Tome II - L’organisation, les missions, le suivi des recommandations’, Cour des Comptes, Paris, France, (2017);
- ***, “Evaluation der Rollenden Landstrasse’, Swiss Federal Audit Office, Bern, Switzerland, (2018);
- BAKKAL V. and others. „About the level of development intermodal transportations in Russia and in the world‟, in ‘Fifth International Railway Logistics Seminar: North-European Logistics in the Era of Global Economic Turmoil’, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland, p. 19-36, (2009);
- ***, „The General Scheme for Deployment of the Transport Logistics Centers Network (within the transportation part of the Federal Project ‘Comprehensive Plan for the modernization and Expansion of the Core Infrastructure up to 2024’)‟, Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation, Moscow, (2019).
- DANIELIS R. and others, “The choice between road transport and rolling motorway: a case study‟, in Working Papers SIET 2010, Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica (SIET), University of Parma, Italy, p 1-20, (2010);
- ***, Internet website of the Viking project, http://www.vikingtrain.com/, visited at the dates of 08/04/2018 and 25/04/2021;
- ***, Internet website of the ASFINAG company, www.go-mault.at, visited at the dates of 12/10/2010, 08/06/2018 and 25/04/2021.
- TĂNĂSUICĂ N.M., “CFR Marfă și transporturile Ro-La‟, Conference „Inteligent transport. Intelligent Traffic‟, Bucharest, 16th October 2018, (2018).