Damage to the turbocharger of the 8400kW diesel engine, which had operated about 66 640 running hours, has caused off hire of the vessel for 10 days and the turbocharger repair had cost more than half a million euros. The study performed on this work consi sts of evaluating the consequences of the low turbocharger performance on the fuel oil consumption and the reasons for this. Specific data were collected and analysed in order to create an appropriate mathematical model between the studied parameters. Measurements and data collected were performed a month before turbocharger damage and after the TC overhaul (with new cartridge). As results can be concluded that losses in turbocharger performance is very important for the efficient operation of the main engine, they must be monitored and analysed.
- Bakalov I., Constructive solutions to reduce the NOx and SOx in the marine boiler burners. Varna, 2016, ISSN: 1310-3946
- Caterpillar Motoren GmbH & Co. KG, Engine operating instructions Type M43C, 17.05.2006
- Cimac, Turbocharging efficiencies - definitions and guidelines for measurement and calculation, www.cimac.com, May 2007
- Cui X., Yang C., Serrano J., Shi M., A performance degradation evaluation method for a turbocharger in a diesel engine, , rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org R. Soc. open sci. 5: 181093
- Habib A., On-Engine Turbocharger Performance Considering Heat Transfer, TRITA – MMK 2012:08, ISSN 1400-1179, ISRN/KTH/MMK/R-12/08-SE, ISBN 978-91-7501-332-9, 22nd of May 2012.
- Hristov, D., Examination of the influence of the air cooler contamination and the piston rings wear on the marine diesel engines BSFOC, NOx and SOx, Scientific proceedings XIV international congress "Machines. Technolоgies. Materials." 2017, ISSN 2535-0021
- Hristov D., Ivanov, I. Study of the impact of technical condition of the turbocharger unit on nitrogen oxides emissions of engine running on natural gas with pre-chamber ignition and lean fuel-air mixture, Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy, Doctoral scientific conference 18-19 Nov, Varna p.30-35 ISBN 978-619-7428-45-2 (print) ISBN 978-619-7428-44-5 (online), 2019
- Hristov, D., Ivanov, I., Hristov, H. Study of the impact of air cooler contamination and piston rings wear on engine emissions, Mechanics of the machines, 2018, v. 24, № 2. ISSN 0861-9727
- Hristov D., Ivanov I., Bakalov, I. Turbocharger Technical Condition Influence on the Carbon Dioxide Emmisions on Natural Gas Fueled Engine, First International Marine Engineering Conference, 21-23 November 2018 at the Engineering Faculty Nikola Vaptsarov Naval Academy. Varna: NVNA, 2018, pp. 187-191. ISBN 978-619-7428- 31-5.
- Ibrahim M, Dimitri A.S., Bayoumi H.N., El-Shafei A., Stable turbocharger bearings, 12th International Conference on Vibrations in Rotating Machinery Institution of Mechanical Engineers, ISBN 978-0-367- 67742-8
- Iosifov I., Hristov D., Problems with the low temperature corrosion on the marine turbochargers XXIV international scientific-technical conference "trans & motauto ‟16" 2016 ISSN 1310-3946
- Jeonha-Dong, Dong-Ku, Instructions Hyundai-MAN B&W diesel engines operation, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd., Edition 0005, Ulsan, Korea
- Kusztelan A., Yao Y.F., Marchant D.R., Wang Y.,A Review of Novel Turbocharger Concepts for Enhancements in Energy Efficiency, Int. J. of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, Volume 2, No. 2 (2011) 75- 82
- Romagnoli A. and Martinez-Botas R., Heat transfer analysis in a turbocharger turbine: an experimental and computational evaluation, Department of Mechanical Engineering Imperial College London, UK, 2012
- Serrano,J., Olmeda P., Arnau F., Reyes-Belmonte M., Importance of Heat Transfer Phenomena in Small Turbochargers for Passenger Car Applications, Univers itat Politècnica de Valènc ia, saeeng.saejournals.org, 2013-01-0576
- Бакалов И., Р. Бакалова. Използване на алтернативни горива в корабните дизелови двигатели, икономически фактор. Шумен, "Маттех 2014", ISSN: 1314-3921