The impact of blockchain and distributed ledger technology on financial services
- 1 University of Economics - Varna, Bulgaria
Blockchain and distributed ledger are terms that were “born” only in the last decade. Their appearance and growing popularity are associated primarily with the rapid development of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. However, the capabilities of blockchain technology based on distributed ledger far outweigh the cryptocurrencies. The new technology is expected to trigger revolutionary changes in the financial services sector. The comparative profile of potential possibilities of and limitations on the application of blockchain in the financial sphere frames the nature of expected changes. Nevertheless, there are still a number of unresolved issues of technological, legal and ethical nature ahead of the mass application of blockchain technology. The formulated conclusions and recommendations provide guidance for successfully overcoming objective barriers to the application of blockchain and summarizing the prerequisites for a possible evolutionary leap in the development of the
financial services industry.
- Accenture, Banking on Blockchain, A Value Analysis for Investment Banks, 2017, Available at: https://www.accenture.com/...Accenture-Banking-onBlockchain.pdf
- Anupam, M. et al. Impact of Distributed Ledger Technology on Syndicated Loans, GENPACT, White Paper, 2016.
- Buitenhek, M. Understanding and Applying Blockchain Technology in Banking: Evolution or Revolution?, Journal of Digital Banking, 2016, 1(2), pp. 111-119.
- Casey, M. et al. The Impact of Blockchain Technology on Finance: A Catalyst for Change, ICMB, 2018.
- Deloitte, Blockchain in Banking, 2017. Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/in/Documents/strategy/in-strategy-innovation-blockchain-in-bankingnoexp.pdf
- Deloitte, Over the Horizon: Blockchain and the Future of Financial Infrastructure, 2016. Available at: https://www2.deloitte.com/.../over-horizon-blockchain-futurefinancial-infrastructure.html
- Goldman Sachs, Blockchain Tech Could Save Capital Markets $6 Billion a Year, 2016. Available at: https://www.coindesk.com/goldman-sachs-blockchain-techsave-capital-markets-12-billion/
- Goldman Sachs, Profiles in Innovations: Blockchain – Putting Theory into Practice, Equity Research, 2016. Available at: https://www.scribd.com/doc/313839001/Profiles-in-InnovationMay-24-2016-1#fullscreen&from_embed
- Guo, Y., Liang, C. Blockchain Application and Outlook in the Banking Industry, Financial Innovations, 2:24, 2016, p. 6.
- Infosys Consulting, Blockchain Technology and the Financial Services Market, 2016. Available at: https://www.infosysconsultinginsights.com/insights/blockchaintechnology-and-the-financial-services-market/
- McWaters, R., et al. The Future of Financial Infrastructure, An Ambitious Look at How Blockchain Can Reshape Financial Services, An Industry Project of the Financial Services Community Prepared in collaboration with Deloitte, World Economic Forum, 2016.
- Natarajan, H., Krause, S., Gradstein, H. Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) and Blockchain. FinTech note, no. 1. Washington, D.C., World Bank Group, 2017.
- Padmanabhan, G., Komma, K. Reinventing Syndicated Loan Processing with Distributed Ledger Technology, White Paper, TCS Banking and Financial Services, 2016.
- Perez, Y. Santander: Blockchain Tech Can Save Banks $20 Billion a Year, CoinDesk, June 16, 2015. Available at: http://www.coindesk.com/santander-blockchain-tech-can-savebanks-20-billion-a-year/ [Accessed 1 February 2019].
- Petrasic, K., Bomfreund, M. Beyond Bitcoin: The Blockchain Revolution in Financial Services, White & Case, N.Y., 2016.
- Petrov, D. Blockchain Technology - A Bank Lending (R)evolution: The Case of Syndicated Loans, New Challenges of Economic and Business Development, 2018: Productivity and Economic Growth: Proceedings, Riga, pp. 500 - 511. Available at: https://www.bvef.lu.lv/.../Proceedings_2018.pdf [Accessed 5 August 2018].
- Rutenberg, S., Wenner, R. Blockchain Technology: A Syndicated Loan Revolution, Financial Technology (FinTech) and Regulation, Polsinelli, July, 2017. Available at: https://sftp.polsinelli.com/.../upd0717fin.pdf [Accessed 2 February 2019].
- Szabo, N. The Idea of Smart Contracts, 1997. Available at: http://szabo.best.vwh.net/smart_contracts_idea.html
- Swan, M. Blockchain Blueprint for a New Economy, O’Reilly Media Inc., CA, USA, 2015.
- Tayeb, S., Lago, F. Blockchain Technology: Between High Hopes and Challenging Implications, The Mena Business Law Review, First Quarter, 2018, pp. 34-43.
- Thomson Reuters, KYC Challenges in 2017: A Focus on the Impact of Global Regulations in the United States, 2017. Available at: https://risk.thomsonreuters.com/...kyc-challenges2017-usa.pdf [Accessed 5 December 2018].
- Turner, E. Blockchain Stands to Disrupt Syndicated Loans, S&P Global Market Intelligence, 2016. Available at: https://www.snl.com/Cache/snlpdf_c2a459c7-d971-425b-8943-5da31b2887c5.pdf [Accessed 4 February 2019].
- Van Oerle, J., Iemmens, P. Distributed ledger technology for the financial industry, White Paper, ROBECO, 2016.
- Woods P. et al. Blockchain and Distributed Ledger Technology: Application to the Loan Market, Loan Syndication and Trading Association, Operations Conference, April 4, 2017.