In this paper, we present the construction of Bulgarian National Diabetes Register, using pseudonymized outpatient records submitted to the Bulgarian National Health Insurance Fund. The automatic generation facilitates the construction because it does not burden any medical experts with additional paper work. The Register is a healthcare system integrating natural language processing in large scale and analytics functionalities that provide new views to the information concerning Diabetes Mellitus and diabetic patients in Bulgaria. This successful approach encouraged the authors to initiate a research programme in eHealth focused on collection and analysis of patient data, with the intention to assess the feasibility of secondary patient record use in evaluation of healthcare quality.
- Garrofé, B., Björnberg, A., Phang, A.Y.: Euro Diabetes Index 2014. Health Consumer Powerhouse Ltd., ISBN 978-91- 980687-4-0, 2014.
- Hallgren Elfgren, I.M., Törnvall, E., Grodzinsky, E.: The process of implementation of the diabetes register in Primary Health Care. International Journal of Quality Health Care 24(4), 2012, 419- 424.
- Richardson, E. (ed.). National Diabetes Plans in Europe: what lessons are there for the prevention and control of chronic diseases in Europe? Policy Brief of the Joint Action on Chronic Diseases and Promoting Healthy Ageing across the Life Cycle, WHO Regional Office for Europe, ISSN 1997-8065, 2016.
- Dalianis, H. Clinical Text Mining: Secondary Use of Electronic Patient Records. Springer Open, 2018, publicly accessible at https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319785028 .
- Tcharaktchiev, D., Zaharieva, S., Angelova, G., Boytcheva, S., et al. Building a national register of Diabetes. Social Medicine 1(2), Research Society of Social Medicine, Informatics and Health Management, 2015, 19-21. ISSN:1310–1757, http://journals.mu-varna.bg/index.php/sm/article/view/1345
- Boytcheva, S., Angelova, G., Angelov, Z., Tcharaktchiev, D.: Integrating Data Analysis Tools for Better Treatment of Diabetic Patients. In: Kalinichenko, L., Manolopoulos, Y., Skvortsov, N., Sukhomlin, V. (eds.) Selected Papers of the XIX International Conference on Data Analytics and Management in Data Intensive Domains (DAMDID/RCDL 2017), CEUR Workshop Proceedings Vol. 2022, 2017, 230-237, http://ceurws.org/Vol-2022/
- Boytcheva, S., G. Angelova, Z. Angelov and D. Tcharaktchiev. Mining comorbidity patterns using retrospective analysis of big collection of outpatient records. Health Information Science and Systems, 5(3), Springer Int. Publ. 2017, ISSN: 2047- 2501, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13755-017-0024-y
- Boytcheva, S., Nikolova, I., Angelova, G., Angelov, Z.: Identification of Risk Factors in Clinical Texts through Association Rules. Proceedings of the Biomedical NLP Workshop associated with RANLP 2017. (pp. 64-72). doi:/10.26615/978-954-452-044- 1_009, http://acl-bg.org/proceedings/2017/RANLP_W4%202017/pdf/BioNLP009.pdf
- eHealth Action Plan 2012-2020 - Innovative healthcare for the 21st century. Communication from the Commission COM(2012) 736, https://ec.europa.eu/digital-singlemarket/en/news/ehealth-action-plan-2012-2020-innovativehealthcare-21st-century