Overcrowding in the Emergency Department (ED) is one of the most important issues in healthcare systems. Two major causes of this congestion are identified, the first one is unjustified Emergency Department visits and the second one a lack of downstream beds. The lack of downstream beds can deteriorate the quality of care for patients who need hospitalization after an ED visit. In this paper a generic simulation model is developed in order to analyse patient pathways from the ED to hospital discharge.
- J. M. Pines, R. T. Griffey, What we have learned from a decade of ED crowding research? Acad Emerg Med. 22(8) (2015) :985–7. 10.1111/acem.12716
- P.A. Shroda, M.C. Reddy, C.J. DeFlitch, A Systematic Review of Simulation Studies Investigating Emergency Department Overcrowding, Simulation 86 (2010).
- S.S. Armel, D.W. Starks, Emergency Department I: The use of Simulation to Reduce the Length of Stay in an Emergency Department, In Proceedings of the 35th Conference on Winter Simulation: driving innovations (2003).
- M. Cooke, J. Dale, J. McLeod, E. Szczepura, A. Walley, S. Wilson, Reducing Attendances and waits in emergency Departments: A systematic review of present innovations (2004).
- K. Fitzgerald, L. Pelletier, M.A. Reznek, A Queue- Based Monte Carlo Analysis to Support Decision Making for Implementation of an Emergency Department Fast Track, Journal of healthcare engineering. (2017).
- A.G.Uriate, E.R. Zuniga, M.U. Moris, A.H Ng, How can Decision Makers be Supported in the Improvement of an Emergency Department? A Simulation, Optimization and Data Mining Approach, Operations Research for Health Care, 15 pp.1020122, (2017)
- A. Nahhas, A. Awaldi, T. Reggelin, Simulation and the Emergency Department Overcrowding Problem, Procedia Engineering, 178 pp. 368-376 (2017).
- A. Gharahigheki, A.S. Kheirkhak, A. Bagheri, E. Rashidi, Improving Performances of the Emergency Department Using Discrete Event Simulation, DEA and the MADM Methods, Digital Health, 2 (2016).
- C. Marley, M. Unwin, G. M. Peterson, J. Stankovich, L. Kinsman, Emergency department crowding: A systematic review of causes, consequences and solutions, PLoS One. 2018 Aug 30;13(8):e0203316. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0203316.
- M. R. Friesen, R. D. McLeod, A Survey of Agent-Based Modelling of Hospital Environments, IEEE Access, 2(1) (2014):227-233.
- M. Taboada, E. Cabrera, M. Luisa Iglesias, F. Epelde, E. Luque, An Agent-Based Decision Support System for Hospitals Emergency Departments, Procedia Computer Science, 4 (2011), 1870-1879, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2011.04.203.
- H. Stainsby, M. Taboada and E. Luque, Towards an Agent-Based Simulation of Hospital Emergency Departments, 2009 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, 2009, pp. 536-539, doi: 10.1109/SCC.2009.53. INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC JOURNAL "MATHEMATICAL MODELING" WEB ISSN 2603-2929; PRINT ISSN 2535-098699