This paper deals with 3D printing of porous, functionally graded structures by using Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM). We investigated the printing parameters that can allow printing with gradual infill and challenges associated with this method of printing. We fabricated polylactic acid (PLA) porous structures with variable infill by using FDM 3D printing. Set of the printing parameters for variable infill were investigated: gradient infill and gradient speed and the most successful case is shown. The significant influence of the printer hardware elements was noticed, among which, the worn gear tooth and inadequate extruder feed model can result in inability to print functionally graded lines.
- F. Hejazi, S. Bagheri‐ Khoulenjani, N. Olov, D. Zeini, A. Solouk, H. Mirzadeh, Fabrication of nanocomposite/nanofibrous functionally graded biomimetic scaffolds for osteochondral tissue regeneration, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 109(9), 1657–1669, (2021).
- S. V. Murphy, A. Atala, 3D bioprinting of tissues and organs, Nature Biotechnology, 32(8), 773–785, (2014).
- M. C. Bottino, V. Thomas, G. M. Janowski, A novel spatially designed and functionally graded electrospun membrane for periodontal regeneration, Acta Biomaterialia, 7(1), 216–224, (2011).
- M. Mehrali, F. S. Shirazi, M. Mehrali, H. S. C. Metselaar, N. A. B. Kadri, N. A. A. Osman, Dental implants from functionally graded materials: Dental Implants from FGM, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 101(10), 3046–3057, (2013).
- J. W. Chua, X. Li, T. Li, B. W. Chua, X. Yu, W. Zhai, Customisable sound absorption properties of functionally graded metallic foams, Journal of Materials Science & Technology, 108, 196–207, (2022).
- Z. Rahimi, W. Sumelka, S. R. Ahmadi, D. Baleanu, Study and control of thermoelastic damping of in-plane vibration of the functionally graded nano-plate, Journal of Vibration and Control, 25(23–24), 2850–2862, (2019).
- J. M. Lowen, J. K. Leach, Functionally graded biomaterials for use as model systems and replacement tissues, Advanced Functional Materials, 30(44), 1909089, (2020).
- N. Oxman, Variable property rapid prototyping: Inspired by nature, where form is characterized by heterogeneous compositions, the paper presents a novel approach to layered manufacturing entitled variable property rapid prototyping, Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 6(1), 3–31, (2011).
- B. Kieback, A. Neubrand, H. Riedel, Processing techniques for functionally graded materials, Materials Science and Engineering: A, 362(1–2), 81–106, (2003).
- D. Almasi, M. Sadeghi, W. J. Lau, F. Roozbahani, N. Iqbal, Functionally graded polymeric materials: A brif review of current fabrication methods and introduction of a novel fabrication method, Materials Science and Engineering: C, 64, 102–107, (2016).
- G. H. Loh, E. Pei, D. Harrison, M. D. Monzón, An overview of functionally graded additive manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, 23, 34–44, (2018).
- U. Scheithauer, S. Weingarten, R. Johne, E. Schwarzer, J. Abel, H-J. Richter, T. Moritz, A. Michaelis, Ceramic-based 4d components: Additive manufacturing (Am) of ceramic-based functionally graded materials (Fgm) by thermoplastic 3d printing(T3dp), Materials, 10(12), 1368, (2017).
- J. Giannatsis, A. Vassilakos, V. Dedoussis, A heterogeneous infill technique for fused deposition modeling, Procedia Manufacturing, 51, 642–648, (2020).
- T. S. Lumpe, J. Mueller, K. Shea, Tensile properties of multi-material interfaces in 3D printed parts, Materials & Design, 162, 1–9, (2019).
- M. Bahraminasab, Challenges on optimization of 3D-printed bone scaffolds, BioMedical Engineering OnLine, 19(1), 69, (2020).
- M. Ansari, E. Jabari, E. Toyserkani, Opportunities and challenges in additive manufacturing of functionally graded metallic materials via powder-fed laser directed energy deposition: A review, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 294, 117117, (2021).
- M. Naebe, K. Shirvanimoghaddam, Functionally graded materials: A review of fabrication and properties, Applied Materials Today, 5, 223–245, (2016).
- M. Sathish, N. Radhika, B. Saleh, A critical review on functionally graded coatings: Methods, properties, and challenges, Composites Part B: Engineering, 225, 109278, (2021).
- R. Ghanavati, H. Naffakh-Moosavy, Additive manufacturing of functionally graded metallic materials: A review of experimental and numerical studies, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, 13, 1628–1664, (2021).
- Y. Li, Z. Feng, L. Hao, L. Huang, C. Xin, Y. Wang, E. Bilotti, K. Essa, H. Zhang, Z. Li, F. Yan, T. Peijs, A review on functionally graded materials and structures via additive manufacturing: From multi‐ scale design to versatile functional properties, Advanced Materials Technologies, 5(6), 1900981, (2020).
- R. V. Duraibabu, R. Prithvirajan, M. Sugavaneswaran, G. Arumaikkannu, Compression behavior of functionally graded cellular materials fabricated with fdm, Materials Today: Proceedings, 24, 1035–1041, (2020).
- A. Garland, G. Fadel, Design and manufacturing functionally gradient material objects with an off the shelf three-dimensional printer: Challenges and solutions, Journal of Mechanical Design, 137(11), 111407, (2015).
- J. Wang, S. Mubarak, D. Dhamodharan, N. Divakaran, L. Wu, X. Zhang, Fabrication of thermoplastic functionally gradient composite parts with anisotropic thermal conductive properties based on multicomponent fused deposition modeling 3D printing, Composites Communications, 19, 142–146, (2020).
- X. Zhang, J. Wang, T. Liu, 3D printing of polycaprolactone-based composites with diversely tunable mechanical gradients via multi-material fused deposition modeling, Composites Communications, 23, 100600, (2021).
- N. Palić, V. Slavković, Ž. Jovanović, F. Živić, N. Grujović, Mechanical behaviour of small load bearing structures fabricated by 3d printing, Applied Engineering Letters : Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 4(3), 88–92, (2019).
- B. Saleh, J. Jiang, R. Fathi, T. Al-hababi, Q. Xu, L. Wang, D. Song, A. Ma, 30 Years of functionally graded materials: An overview of manufacturing methods, Applications and Future Challenges, Composites Part B: Engineering, 201, 108376, (2020).
- I. Buj-Corral, A. Bagheri, A. Domínguez-Fernández, R. Casado-López, Influence of infill and nozzle diameter on porosity of FDM printed parts with rectilinear grid pattern, Procedia Manufacturing, 41, 288–295, (2019).
- K. D. Nguyen, C.-L. Thanh, H. Nguyen-Xuan, M. Abdel- Wahab, A hybrid phase-field isogeometric analysis to crack propagation in porous functionally graded structures, Engineering with Computers, (2021).
- P. M. Ramteke, S. K. Panda, N. Sharma, Effect of grading pattern and porosity on the eigen characteristics of porous functionally graded structure, Steel and Composite Structures, 33, 865–75, (2019).