Decision making methods have been examined within the context of conflicting criteria. Mechanical properties of a number of plasma sprayed coatings based on the modified alumina powder have been given for the purpose of comparative analysis. The modification has been performed by two different methods: 1) by cladding the alumina powder with Ti and Al metal sheaths where the PVD method has been employed; 2) by mechanochemical processing inside planetary ball mill with the titanium oxide nanopowder added. For coating selection, weighed characteristics technique has been used in conjunction with the digital logic and the proposed improved approach to the linear and non-linear data normalization. A conclusion has been made that the most effective, as far as the wear resistance parameter is concerned, are the coatings obtained as a result of the clad alumina powder spraying
- Zarandi, M.H.F., Mansour, S., Hosseinijou, S.A., Avazbeigi, M.: A material selection methodology and expert system for sustainable product design. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 57 (9–12), 885 – 903 (2011). doi: 10.1007/s00170-011- 3362-y.
- Luo, D., Fridrici, V., Kapsa, P.: A systematic approach for the selection of tribological coatings. Wear 271, 2132 – 2143 (2011). doi: 10.1016/j.wear.2010.11.049.
- Penyashki, T., Kostadinov, G.: Approaches to the selection of suitable materials/appropriate materials and methods for the application of wear coatings/and methods of application wearresistant coatings. Agricultural Engineering (Bulgaria) (1), 5 – 13 (2013).
- Mazaheri, Y., Karimzadeh, F., Enayati, M.H.: Development of Al356–Al2O3 nanocomposite coatings by high velocity oxy-fuel technique. Journal of Materials Science and Technology 29 (9), 813 – 820 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.jmst.2013.05.019.
- Ahmed, R., Faisal, N., Paradowska, A., Fitzpatrick, M.: Residual Strain and Fracture Response of Al2O3 Coatings Deposited via APS and HVOF Techniques. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 21 (1), 23 – 40 (2012). doi: 10.1007/s11666-011-9680-7.
- Maniya, K., Bhatt, M.: A selection of material using a novel type decision-making method: Preference selection index method. Materials and Design 31 (4), 1785 – 1789 (2010). doi: 10.1016/ j.matdes.2009.11.020.
- Cicek, K., Celik, M.: Selection of porous materials in marine system design: The case of heat exchanger aboard ships. Materials and Design 30 (10), 4260 – 4266 (2009). doi: 10.1016/j.matdes. 2009.04.027.
- Trethewey, K.R., Wood, R.J.K., Puget, Y., Roberge, P.R.: Development of a knowledge-based system for materials management. Materials and Design 19 (1 – 2), 39 – 56 (1998). doi: 10.1016/S0261-3069(98)00010-7.
- Dehghan-Manshadi, B., Mahmudi, H., Abedian, A., Mahmudi, R.: A novel method for materials selection in mechanical design: Combination of non-linear normalization and a modified digital logic method. Materials and Design 28 (1), 8 – 15 (2007). doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2005.06.023.
- Schmid, G.H.S., Eisenmenger-Sittner, C.: A method for uniformly coating powdery substrates by magnetron sputtering. Surface and Coatings Technology 236, 353 – 360 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.10.012.
- Mohammad, S., Karimzadeh, F., Enayati, M.H.: Preparation of Al2O3–TiB2 nanocomposite powder by mechanochemical reaction between Al, B2O3 and Ti. Advanced Powder Technology 22 (4), 526 – 531 (2011). doi: 10.1016/j.apt.2010.07.010.
- Smirnov, I.V., Dolgov, N.A., Besov, A.V.: Improved adhesion strength, corrosion and wear performance of plasma-sprayed coatings from PVD film-coated powders – concept and practice. Machines, Technologies, Materials 3, 28 – 31 (2014).
- Dolgov, N.A., Smirnov, I.V., Andreytsev, A.Y.: Influence of plasma-spraying conditions of nanocomposite Al2O3 – nanoTiO2 powder on adhesion strength of the coatings. Advanced Methods and Technologies of Materials Development and Processing. Collection of scientific papers, Minsk, PTI NAS Belarus, A.V. Byeli (ed.), 2, 83 – 93 (2018) (in Russian).
- Dong, S., Song, B., Hansz, B., Liao,H., Coddet, C.: Study on the mechanism of adhesion improvement using dry-ice blasting for plasma-sprayed Al2О3 coatings. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 22 (2 – 3), 213 – 220 (2013). doi: 10.1007/s11666-012- 9872-9.
- Dolgov, N.A.: Method for determining the modulus of elasticity for gas thermal spray coatings. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics 43 (7 – 8), 423 – 428 (2004). doi: 10.1023/B:PMMC. 0000048138.67323.49.
- Anstis, G.R., Chantikul, P., Lawn, B.R., Marshal, D.B.: A critical evaluation of indentation techniques for measuring fracture toughness: I, Direct crack measurements. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 64 (9), 533 – 538 (1981). doi: 10.1111/j.1151- 2916.1981.tb10320.x.