The paper deals with the perspectives for developing ecologically based biological agriculture in Bulgaria, the European Union and the other countries. Innovative technology (for computerized monitoring the soil water deficit and scheduling the irrigation) replaces the periodical local (point) measurements of soil moisture. Its application helps to be taken into account the physiological features of crop, creating appropriate energy level of soil moisture through ecologically accepted watering technique in each agricultural crop field. It ensures to be obtained the scientifically planned amount and quality of crop yield, saving on average 30 % of irrigation water and one third of nutrients added for plants.
New universal estimation of crop water status, current computerized monitoring of the water deficit in root zone of soil, and exact management of productivity are possible to be accomplished.
Data were obtained under field conditions over 30-year research period. Fundamental physical laws and recent Bulgarian and foreign world-top scientific achievements were aggregated and applied to be created the new scientific basis of the technology.
The obtained results showed the successful applications of: (a) the new hydro-physical index and the method for its determination under both non-irrigation and irrigation conditions and (b) the Technology for Monitoring, Estimating and Managing (TMEM) of the water status of this layer in irrigation rural activities, taking into account the European ecological requirements. The technology is easily applied as Decision Support System (DSS) in irrigation agriculture.
- Christov, I. Theoretical Basis for Crop Water Management. International Agricultural Physics, 5, (3-4), 1989, 261-268.
- Christov, I. Energy Levels of Soil Moisture and Biolproductivity. International Agricultural Physics, 6(1-2), 1992, 89-94.
- Christov, I. D. Estimation of Agroecosystem Water Status and Formation of Plant Water Supply in Soils. Monograph, Series Ecology, PublishScieSet-Eco, Sofia, 2004, p. 216, ISBN 954-749- 044-3.
- Christov, I. Management of Agroecosystem Water Status. Part 1. New Complex Scientific Base. J. of Balkan Ecology, 11(1), 2008a, 5-22.
- Christov, I. Management of Agroecosystem Water Status. Part 2. Organization of Decision Support System (DSS) Application and Advantages. Journal of Balkan Ecology, 11(2), 2008b, 137- 148.
- Christov, I. Management of Agroecosystem Water Status. Part 3. Adequacy of Decision Support System (DSS). J. of Balkan Ecology, 11(3), 2008c, 229-240.
- Christov, I. Management of Agroecosystem Water Status. Part 4. Relationships among Soil Moisture Energy Level, Soil Water Properties and Biological Features of Crop. J. of Balkan Ecology, 11(4), 2008d, 341-350.
- Christov, I. Monitoring and Management of Agroecosystem Water Status for Protecting Environment and Establishing Sustainable Agriculture. PublishScieSet-Eco, Sofia, 2012, p. 262, ISBN 978-954-749-098.