The main purpose of the study was to assess the usability of a new calculation algorithm for determining the surfactants effective diffusion coefficient. The adsorption of a mixture of non-ionic surfactants onto flat water-air interface was considered. Presented algorithm is composed of a two parts: Ward-Tordai equation solver based on Nyström method for integral equations and golden ratio optimization method used in inverse problem. In the investigation the Langmuir model of an isotherm was assumed. Presented algorithm was successfully used to determine the non-ionic surfactant – Nafol 810D (BRENNTAG) effective diffusion coefficient in the diffusion controlled adsorption process.
- Chattoraj D. K., Birdi K. S., Adsorption and the Gibbs Surface Excess. New York and London, Plenum Press, 1984.
- Rosen M. J., Kunjappu J. T., Surfactants and Interfacial Phenomena: Fourth Edition, New York, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 2012.
- Crank J., The Mathematics of Diffusion, Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1975.
- Miller R., Joos P., Fainerman V. B., Dynamic surface and interfacial tensions of surfactant and polymer solutions, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., vol. 49, no. C, 1994, p. 249–302.
- Ward A. F. H. and Tordai L., Time-dependence of boundary tensions of solutions I. The role of diffusion in time-effects, J. Chem. Phys., vol. 14, no. 7, 1946, p. 453–461.
- Sutherland K. L., Australian Journal of Scientific Research, Series A: Physical Sciences, vol. 5, 1952, p.683.
- Gorevski N., Miller R., Ferri J. K., Non-equilibrium exchange kinetics in sequential non-ionic surfactant adsorption: Theory and experiment, Colloids Surfaces A Physicochem. Eng. Asp., vol. 323, no. 1–3, 2008, p. 12–18.
- Radzio K., Prochaska K., Interfacial activity of trioctyloamine in hydrocarbon/water systems with nonorganic electrolytes, J. Colloid Interface Sci., vol. 233, no. 2, 2001, p. 211–218.
- Miller R., Aksenenko E. V., and Fainerman V. B., Dynamic interfacial tension of surfactant solutions, Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., vol. 247, 2017, p. 115–129.
- Delves L.M, Mohamed J.L., Computational methods for integral equations, New York, Cambridge University Press, 1992.
- Li X., Shaw R., Evans G. M., Stevenson P., A simple numerical solution to the Ward-Tordai equation for the adsorption of non-ionic surfactants, Comput. Chem. Eng., vol. 34, no. 2, 2010, p. 146–153.
- Chapra S., Applied Numerical Methods with Matlab for Engineers and Scientist, Third Edition, New York, McGraw-Hill, 2008.