The paper presents the influence of the activation flux and shielding gas on tungsten inert gas welding of the duplex stainless steel. In introduction part the productivity and the cost-effectiveness of A-TIG welding for duplex stainless steels was explained. In the experimental part X2CrNiMoN22-5-3 7 mm thick stainless steel has been welded in butt joint. The welding process was performed by a robot with TIG equipment. With selected A-TIG welding technology preparation of plates and consumption of filler material (containing Cr, Ni and Mn) have been avoided. Specimens from the produced welds have been subjected to tensile strength test, macrostructure analysis and corrosion resistance analysis. The results have confirmed that this type of stainless steel can be welded without edge preparation and addition of filler material containing critical raw materials as Cr, Ni and Mn when the following welding parameters are set: current 200 A, welding speed 9,1 cm/min, heat input 1,2 kJ/mm and specific activation flux is used.
- Umoru L E, Afonja A A and Ademodi B Corrosion study of AISI 304, AISI 321 and AISI 430 stainless steels in a tar sand digester, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, vol. 7, no.4, pp 291- 299, 2008.
- HRN EN 10088-1:2015, Stainless steels -- Part 1: List of stainless steels
- Otokumpu Stainless AB Handbook of Stainless Steel, Avesta Resarch Centre, Avesta, Sweden, 2013.
- Davis J R Stainless steels; ASM International, USA, 1994.
- Gun R N Duplex stainless steels: microstructure, properties and applications; Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, UK, 1997.
- Chan K W and Tjong S C Effect of secondary phase precipitation on the corrosion behavior of duplex stainless steels, Materials, no. 7, pp. 5268- 5304, 2014.
- Gideon B, Ward L and Biddle G Duplex stainless steel welds and their susceptibility to intergranular corrosion, Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering, vol. 7, no.3, pp 247-263, 2008.
- Gurevich S. M., Zamkov V. N., Kushnirenko N. A., Increase in the efficiency of penetration of titanium alloys in argon arc welding, Avtomatich Svarka, 9, pp 1-5, 1965.
- Shyu S W, Huang H Y, Tseng K H and Chou C P Study of the performance of stainless steel A-TIG welds, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, vol. 17, no. 2, pp 193-201, 2008.
- ISO 9692-1:2013 “Welding and allied processes - Types of joint preparation - Part 1: Manual metal-arc welding, gas-shielded metal-arc welding, gas welding, TIG welding and beam welding of steels
- HRN EN 10088-2:2015, Stainless steels -- Part 2: Technical delivery conditions for sheet/plate and strip of corrosion resisting steels for general purposes
- Babić N A-TIG welding of duplex steels, Diploma thesis, University of Zagreb, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, 2016.
- HRN EN ISO 4136:2013, Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials – Transverse tensile test
- ASTM G48 – 03 - Standard test methods for pitting and crevice corrosion resistance of stainless steels and related alloys by use of ferric chloride solution