This paper presents an experimental study related to the optimization of cutting parameters in roughing turning of AISI 1045 steel under flooded conditions. The aim is to find a suitable combination of cutting parameters (cutting speed, depth of cut and feed rate) that minimize specific cutting energy and maximize material removal rate. The machining experiments were performed based on the Taguchi L27 full-factorial orthogonal array and response surface methodology (RSM) has been used to obtain the regression model for the specific cutting energy and material removal rate. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) was used to find out the significance of each cutting parameter. Finally, the developed models were interfaced with an artificial bee colony (ABC) to determine the optimal set of cutting parameters.
- Vijayaraghavan, A., Dornfeld, D., Automated energy monitoring of machine tools. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 59, 2010, pages 21-24.
- Zhao, G.Y., Liu, Z.Y., He, Y., Cao, H.J., Guo, Y.B., Energy Consumption in Machining: Classification, Prediction, and Reduction Strategy, Energy, Vol. 133, 2017, pages142-157.
- Aggarwal, A., Singh, H., Kumar, P., Singh, M., Optimizing power consumption for CNC turned parts using response surface methodology and Taguchi’s technique – A comparative analysis, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 200, No. 1-3, 2008, pages 373-384.
- Neugebauer, R., Schubert, A., Reichmann, B., Dix, M., Influence Exerted By Tool Properties on the Energy Efficiency during Drilling and Turning Operations, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, 2011, pages 161-169.
- Guo, Y., Loenders, J., Duflou, J., Lauwers, B., Optimization of Energy Consumption and Surface Quality in Finish Turning, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 1, 2012, pages 512-517.
- Velchev, S., Kolev, I., Ivanov, K., Gechevski, S., Empirical models for specific energy consumption and optimization of cutting parameters for minimizing energy consumption during turning, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 80, 2014, pages 139-149.
- Hanafi, I., Khamlichi, A., Cabrera, F.M., Almansa, E., Jabbouri, A., Optimization of cutting conditions for sustainable machining of PEEK-CF30 using TiN tools, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 33, 2012, pages 1-9.
- Rajemi, M., Mativenga, P., Aramcharoen, A., Sustainable machining: selection of optimum turning conditions based on minimum energy considerations, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 18, 2010, pages1059-1065.
- Camposeco-Negrete, C., Optimization of cutting parameters for minimizing energy consumption in turning of AISI 6061 T6 using Taguchi methodology and ANOVA, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 53, 2013, pages195-203.
- Bagaber, S.A., Yusoff, A.R., Multi-objective optimization of cutting parameters to minimize power consumption in dry turning of stainless steel 316, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 157, 2017, pages 30-45.
- Suresh, R., Basavarajappa, S., Samuel, G.L., Some studies on hard turning of AISI 4340 steel using multilayer coated carbide tool, Measurement, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2012, pages 1872-1884.
- Bhushan, R.K., Optimization of cutting parameters for minimizing power consumption and maximizing tool life during machining of Al alloy SiC particle composites, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 39, 2013, pages 242-254.
- Park, H-S., Nguyen, T-T., Dang, X-P., Multi-Objective Optimization of Turning Process of Hardened Material for Energy Efficiency, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2016, pages 1623-1631.
- Sarwar, M., Persson, M., Hellbergh, H., Haider, J., Measurement of specific cutting energy for evaluating the efficiency of band sawing different workpiece materials, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Vol. 49, No. 12-13, 2009, pages 958-965.
- Karaboga, D., An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization, Technical Report TR06, 2005, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey.