In recent years, the world of material science has observed a wide range of applications of Titanium alloys; especially Ti6Al4V, a grade-V alpha-beta titanium alloy; in biomedical instruments, automobile engineering, aerospace engineering, marine engineering, etc. Shaping this material by conventional machining processes is very difficult because of some of its properties, like high strength, high chemical affinity, etc. That’s why non-conventional machining processes, like electro-discharge machining (EDM), have been applied to shape the material. Past researches revealed that in EDM, both the quality of machining and machining rate deteriorate due to accumulation of debris in the machining zone. The present research has been focused to achieve better machining rate and machining quality by incorporating conical tool and vibration in the workpiece. The effects of, both vibration of workpiece and shape of the tool on material removal rate (MRR) and Diametric Over-cut (DOC), have been studied through a planned set of experiments. The result shows that MRR almost doubled using vibration assisted EDM. However, the DOC also increased due to vibration. On the other hand, the use of the conical tool resulted in increased MRR and a reduced DOC. The paper also includes analysis of the effects of peak-current and pulse-ontime on MRR and DOC.
- G. D’Urso, C. Merla, Workpiece and electrode influence on micro-EDM drilling performance, Precision Engineering,38, 903–914(2014).
- Vijay Verma, Rohit Sahu, Process parameter optimization of die-sinking EDM on Titanium grade – V alloy (Ti6Al4V) using full factorial design approach, Materials Today: Proceedings 4, 1893–1899(2017).
- Dipraj Banik, Rahul, Gitimaya Kar, Biswajit Debnath, B. C. Routara, Ashok Kumar Sahoo, Dhiraj Kochar, Machining Performance Optimization During Electro Discharge Machining on Titanium (Grade 4): Application of Satisfaction Function and Distance-Based Approach, Advances in Industrial and Production Engineering, 535-542 (2019).
- Lin Gu, Lei Li, Wansheng Zhao, K.P. Rajurkar, Electrical discharge machining of Ti6Al4V with a bundled electrode, International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture,53, 100–106(2012).
- M.P. Jahan a, Y.S. Wong, M. Rahman, Evaluation of the effectiveness of low frequency workpiece vibration in deep-hole micro-EDM drilling of tungsten carbide, Journal of Manufacturing Processes,14, 343–359(2012).
- A. M. A. Al-Ahmari, M.Sarvar Rasheed, Muneer Khan Mohammed, T. Saleh, A Hybrid Machining Process Combining Micro-EDM and Laser Beam Machining of Nickel–Titanium-Based Shape Memory Alloy, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 31, 447-455 (2015).
- Luciano José Arantes,Ernane Rodrigues da Silva,Rogério Felíc io dos Santos,Wisley Falco Sales,Alberto Arnaldo Raslan, The electrical discharge machining process aided by abrasive jet, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 87, 411-420 (2016),
- Prithwiraj Roy, Arka Mondal, Souren Mitra(2017), Study of Hole Accuracy in Electro Discharge Machining of Ti6Al4V Alloy, 10th International Conference on Precision, Meso, Micro and Nano Engineering, ISBN: 978-93-80689-28-9, 704- 707 (2017).