The aim of the present study was to compare the effects of mineral and liquid organic fertilisers on the accumulation of nitrate and ammonium nitrogen in a clay loam Endocalcari Endohypogleyic Cambisol and on chlorophyll content in common winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L. emend. Fiori et Paol.) leaves. Ammonium nitrate was used as a mineral fertiliser. Liquid bio-fertilisers – pig slurry and anaerobic digestate – were studied with and without nitrification inhibitor (DMPP). In spring, after resumption of winter wheat vegetation, the investigated fertilizers were applied at N120 rate. Soil samples were taken from the 0-30 and 30-60 cm soil depths one and a half months after fertilisation. Dry weather prevailed during the study period. Results showed that the mineral nitrogen content in the soil varied depending on the fertiliser used and a slight effect of DMPP was observed. Compared to the unfertilised treatment, the highest and significant increase in mineral (nitrate and ammonium) nitrogen content was determined in the deeper soil layer of the mineral fertilisation treatment. Neither nitrogen rate nor fertilisers of different composition had influence on leaf chlorophyll content.
- Bhowmik A., A.M. Fortuna, L. Cihacek, A. Bary, C.G. Cogger Use of biological indicators of soil health to estimate reactive nitrogen dynamics in long-term organic vegetable and pasture systems – Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 103, 2016, 308-319.
- Cavalli D., J. Cabassi, L. Borrelli et al. Nitrogen fertiliser value of digested dairy cow slurry, its liquid and solid fractions, and of dairy cow slurry – Italian Journal of Agronomy, 2014, 9 (2), 71- 78.
- Corrochano-Monsalve M., X.F. Huérfano, T. Uertes-Mendizabal et al. in: 20th N Workshop and Side event, June 25-27 2018, Rennes, France, 253-254.
- Godinot O., M. Carof, F. Vertčs, P. Leterme SyNE: An improved indicator to assess nitrogen efficiency of farming systems – Agricultural Systems 127, 2014, 41-52.
- Haynes R. 2012. Mineral Nitrogen In The Plant-Soil System. London, Academic Press, 2012.
- Huérfano-Salinas X., T. Fuertes-Mendizábal, K. Fernández-Díez et al. The new nitrification inhibitor 3.4-dimethylpyrazole succinic (DMPSA) as an alternative to DMPP for reducing N2O emissions from wheat crops under humid Mediterranean conditions – European Journal of Agronomy, 80, 2016, 78-87.
- Insam I., M. Gómez-Brandón, J. Aschera Manure-based biogas fermentation residues – Friend or foe of soil fertility? – Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 84, 2015, 1-14.
- Johansen A., M.S. Carter, E.S. Jensen et al. Effects of digestate from anaerobically digested cattle slurry and plant materials on soil microbial community and emission of CO2 and NO2 – Applied Soil Ecology, 63, 2013, 36-44.
- Kong X., Y. Duan, A. Schramm, J. Eriksen, S.O. Petersen 3.4- Dimethylpyrazole phosphate (DMPP) reduces activity of ammonia oxidizers without adverse effects on non-target soil microorganisms and functions – Applied Soil Ecology, 105, 2016, 67-75.
- Ladha J.K., A. Tirol-Padre, C.K. Reddy et al. Global nitrogen budgets in cereals: A 50-year assessment for maize, rice and wheat production systems – Scientific reports, 2016, 6-19355.
- Lassaletta L., G. Billen, B. Grizzetti, J. Anglade, J. Garnier 50 year trends in nitrogen use efficacy of world cropping systems: the relationship between yield and nitrogen input to cropland – Environmental Research Letters, 9 (10), 2014, 1-9.
- Nikitin B.A. Metod opredeleniya gumusa pochvy [Method for determination of soil humus] – Agrokhimiya, 5, 1999, 91-93.
- van Opheusden, A.H.M., G.J.H.M. van der Burgt, P.I. Rietberg. Decomposition rate of organic fertilizers: effect on yield, nitrogen availability and nitrogen stock in the soil. No. 2012- 033 LbP. Louis Bolk Instituut, 2012.
- Raudonius S. Application of statistics in plant and crop research: important issues – Zemdirbyste-Agriculture, 104 (4), 2017, 377- 382.
- Smalstienė V., I. Pranckietienė, R. Dromantienė, G. Šidlauskas The influence of different nitrogen forms and application time on winter wheat – Žemės Ūkio Mokslai [Agricultural Sciences], 24 (3), 2017, 81-90.
- Šimon T., E. Kunzová, M. Friedlová The effect of digestate, cattle slurry and mineral fertilization on the winter wheat yield and soil quality parameters – Plant Soil Environment, 61 (11), 2015, 522-527.
- Sutton M.A., A. Bleeker, C.M. Howard et al. Our Nutrient World: The challenge to produce more food and energy with less pollution, Edinburgh, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, 2013.
- Thorup-Kristensen K., D.B. Dresbøll, H.L. Kristensen Crop yield, root growth and nutrient dynamics in a conventional and three organic cropping systems with different levels of external inputs and N re-cycling through fertility building crops – European Journal of Agronomy, 37 (1), 2012, 66-82.
- Torralbo F., S. Menéndez, I. Barrena, J.M. Estavillo, D. Marino, C. González-Murua Dimethyl pyrazol-based nitrification inhibitors effect on nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria to mitigate N2O emission – Scientific report, 7, 2017, 13810
- Verdi L., P.J. Kuikman, S. Orlandini et al. Does the use of digestate to replace mineral fertilizers have less emissions of N2O and NH3? – Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 269-270, 2019, 112-118.