Climate change is causing disasters such as floods, whirlwinds, storms, drought, or other extreme weather events that have not yet occurred in certain areas of the world or have not occurred to such an extent and intensity as it is happening now or is predicted in the foreseeable future. Government and, in particular, crisis management system should reflect these facts in order to prepare itself and the population on such events. People should also be interested in preparing for and adapting to these changes and related crisis events. The aim of the article is to examine preparedness of the population in the Slovak Republic and, in particular, to analyse the barriers to climate change adaptation of the population. For the analysis are used the questionnaire survey results on this topic. The initial results indicate the influence of the population by various barriers and factors.
- UNISDR, Hyogo Framework, (2007). Retrieved from https://www.unisdr.org/2005/wcdr/intergover/official-doc/L-docs/Hyogo-framework-for-action-english.pdf
- European Commission, An EU strategy on adaptation to climate change, Communication from the Commission to the European parliament, the council, the European economic and social committee and the committee of the regions, (2013). Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A52013DC0216
- UNISDR, Sendai Framework, 2015. Retrieved from https://www.undrr.org/implementing-sendai-framework/what-sendai-framework
- UNFCCC, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, Paris, p. 32, (2015). Retrieved from https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09r01.pdf
- UN, Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, p. 41, (2015). Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/21252030%20Agenda%20for%20Sustainable%20Development%20web.pdf
- S. Lee, J. Paavola, S. Dessai. Towards a deeper understanding of barriers to national climate change adaptation policy: A systematic review. Climate Risk Management 35 (2022) 100414
- SHI - Slovak Hydrometeorological Institute. E. Peterová, I. Garčár, Klimatická zmena a jej vplyv na zdravie a majetok na Slovensku [Climate change and its impact on health and property in Slovakia]. Aktuality SHMÚ [online] [cit. 18.10.2022]. (2018). Available at: http://www.shmu.sk/sk/?page=2049&id=927
- Ministry of Environment SR. Stratégia adaptácie Slovenskej republiky na nepriaznivé dôsledky zmeny klímy – aktualizácia [Strategy of adaptation of the Slovak Republic to the consequences of climate change - update] [online]. [cit. 18.10.2022]. (2017). Available at: https://www.minzp.sk/files/odbor-politiky-zmeny-klimy/strategia-adaptacie-sr-nepriaznive-dosledky-zmeny-klimy-aktualizacia.pdf
- UNEP. Adaptation gap report. UN environment programme. (2018).
- L. González-Hernández, E. W. Meijles, F. Vanclay. Household Barriers to Climate Change Action: Perspectives from Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Sustainability. (2019), 11, 4178.
- G. R. Biesbroek, J. E. M. Klostermann, C. J. A. M. Termeer, P. Kabat. Barriers to climate change adaptation in the Netherlands. Clim. Law 2, 181–199 (2011).
- W. N. Adger, et al. Are there social limits to adaptation to climate change? Climatic Change 93, 335–354 (2009).
- I. Lorenzoni, S. Nicholson-Cole, L. Whitmarsh. Barriers perceived to engaging with climate change among the UK public and their policy implications. Glob. Environ. Change 17, 445–459 (2007).
- S. Burch, In pursuit of resilient, low-carbon communities: an examination of barriers to action in three Canadian cities. Energ. Policy 38, 7575–7585 (2010).
- H. Eakin, A. M. Lerner, F. Murtinho. Adaptive capacity in evolving peri-urban spaces: responses to flood risk in the Upper Lerma River Valley, Mexico. Glob. Environ. Change 20, 14–22 (2010).
- L. Jones, E. Boyd. Exploring social barriers to adaptation: insights from Western Nepal. Glob. Environ. Change 21, 1262–1274 (2011).
- J. A. Ekstrom, S. C. Moser. Identifying and overcoming barriers in urban adaptation efforts to climate change: case study findings from the San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA. Urban Clim. (2014).
- K. Eisenack, et al. Explaining and overcoming barriers to climate change adaptation. Nature Climate Change. 2350 (2014).
- I. Lorenzoni, S. Nicholson-Coleb, L. Whitmarsh. Barriers perceived to engaging with climate change among the UK public and their policy implications. Global Environmental Change. 17 (2007) 445–459