An increasing number of drones with a specific purpose are being developed globally. They are used in agriculture for crop monitoring and spraying, as well as in national defence, border control, etc. Time-consuming and expensive monitoring and tracking activities can be performed more efficiently in terms of time, cost and safety. The aim of this research is to develop an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) platform equipped with onboard artificial intelligence capability for automated monitoring of roads and roadsides. Roadside monitoring is intended for road sections where the presence of a human supervisor is unreasonable or limited by safety standards. The UAV will be set to fly along a predetermined route without pilot intervention. By using machine vision, road sections where defects have appeared are identified and recorded for later human inspection. The solution developed as a result of this study can be adapted for industrial use, for example, maintenance monitoring of conveyors or large storage areas on the premises of factories.
- Transpordiamet, "Mehitamata õhusõidukid, sealhulgas droonid," [Online]. Available: https://www.ecaa.ee/et/lennundustehnika-ja-lennutegevus/mehitamata-ohusoidukid-sealhulgas-droonid. [Accessed 02 12 2020].
- Air Drone Craze, "The Future of Drone Technology," Air Drone Craze, [Online]. Available: https://airdronecraze.com/drone-tech/. [Accessed 22 12 2020].
- T. V. D. Project, Federal Aviation Administration, USA, 2015.
- ELI Group, Eli Military Simulations, [Online]. Available: www.eli.ee. [Accessed 12 03 2021].
- Hepta Airborne, Hepta Airborne, [Online]. Available: https://heptaairborne.com/. [Accessed 27 04 2021].
- Threod Systems, "Products," Threod Systems, [Online]. Available: https://threod.com/products/. [Accessed 22 05 2023].
- C. P. L. a. W. P. Chen, Handbook of Pattern Recognition and Computer Vision., Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 1993.
- R. a. W. R. González, Digital image, New Jersey: Ed. Prentice Hall, 2007.
- "OpenCV," OpenCV, [Online]. Available: https://opencv.org/. [Accessed 12 02 2023].
- R. B. F. L. B. a. L. L. M. R. Laguna, "Traffic sign recognition application based on image processing techniques," Proceedings of the 19th World Congress The International Federation of Automatic Control, 2014.
- M. S. j. K. V. Suresh, "Automatic Traffic Sign Detection and Recognition: A Review," 2021.
- Maanteeamet, "Hooldesündmuste infosüsteem," [Online]. Available: https://hosis.mnt.ee/web/#/login. [Accessed 11 01 2021].