We present and explain the mathematical apparatus used in a numerical simulation model created with АNSYS СFX Software. The purpose of the model is to perform computations of fog parameters in different points of artificially generated fog sprays, which are then used to calibrate a novel type of fog sensors. By changing the distance between the nozzle and the measuring laser beam of the sensor, we can assess how the number flow rate and diameter distribution of fog droplets are varied within in the spray. This work is related to improving European security by introducing systems for quick counteraction to terrorist attacks, industrial accidents and natural disasters. These systems use artificial fog generation to collect and deposit on the ground harmful aerosols dispersed in air, especially CBRN agents. Our newly developed fog sensors operate on the basis of the electromagnetic echo effect to control the decontamination process. In order to optimize the work of the sensors, it is crucial to investigate fogs and their ability to absorb harmful substances from air. The most important fog parameters that influence the efficiency of the cleaning process are the number of droplets and their size.
- Klassen S., The Photoelectric Effect: Reconstructing the Story for the Physics Classroom, Science & Education, 20(7):719-731, doi: 10.1007/s11191-009-9214-6
- Ivanov, O. Sensor applications of field-matter interactions. In Encyclopedia of Sensors 9; Grimes, C.A.; Dickey, E.I.; Pishko, M.V.; Eds.; American Scientific Publishers, Stevenson Ranch, California, USA, 2006; pp. 165-197, ISBN: 9781588830562.
- Ivanov O., Kuneva M., Quality control methods based on electromagnetic field-matter interactions, In Application and Experience of Quality Control, O. Ivanov (editor), INTECH, Vienna, 509-536 (2011) DOI: 10.5772/15857
- Park N. C., Abbate A., Das P., Characterization of Semiconductors by Laser-Generated Photocharge Voltage Spectroscopy, in 22nd International Symposium on Compound Semiconductors - Technologies, Volume: 145, Cheju Island, Korea, 1996, pp. 593-598
- Perez-Diaz J. L., Qin Y., Ivanov O., Quinones J., Stengl V., Nylander K., Hornig W., Álvarez J., Ruiz-Navas E. M., Manzanec K., Fast Response CBRN High-Scale Decontamination System: COUNTERFOG: Science as the first countermeasure for CBRNE and Cyber threats, in book Enhancing CBRNE Safety & Security: Proceedings of the SICC 2017 Conference, Springer, 2018, 61-69, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-91791-7_8
- Ivanov O., Karatodorov S., Pérez Díaz J.L.,. Novel Electromagnetic Sensor for Contaminations in Fog Based on the Laser-induced Charge Effect, Proceedings of IEEE SENSORS 2017, CFP17SE, IEEE, 2017, ISBN:978-1-5386-4056-2, 1509-1511
- Angelov K., Ivanov O., Todorov P., Pérez-Díaz J. L., Computational fluid dynamic model for estimating droplet number flow rate through a laser beam, Security & Future, 2, 2017, ISSN:2535-0668, 79-82