This paper analyses the performance of a future planned 500 MW ultra-supercritical pulverized coal power plant. The steam cycle configuration comprises a single-stage reheat, four high pressure feedwater heaters, three low pressure feedwater heaters and the deaerator. The electricity generation unit consists of a high pressure turbine, an intermediate pressure turbine, two double-flow low pressure turbines and the electric generator. The analysis is carried out for live steam temperature of 600 °C and pressure of 300 bar while th e reheat steam temperature is 610 °C and the pressure is 50 bar. The condenser pressure is 0.039 bar. The analysis revealed that the ultra-supercritical power plant achieves a gross thermal efficiency of 47.39% and a net thermal efficiency of 45.14%. The specific CO2 emissions per unit of generated electricity are 733.4 kg/MWh. Relatively to existing subcritical units, the analyzed ultra-supercritical power plant achieves a net efficiency gain of 9%-pts. and a CO2 emission reduction of around 20%.
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2020, 69th edition, London, UK, 2020.
- IEA World Energy Outlook 2020; Paris, France, 2020.
- P. Jayarama Reddy: Clean Coal Technologies for Power Generation; CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, USA; Taylor & Francis Group: London, UK, 2014.
- D. Zhang: Ultra-Supercritical Coal Power Plants: Materials, Technologies and Optimisation, Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, UK, 2013.
- T. Tanuma: Advances in Steam Turbines for Modern Power Plants, Woodhead Publishing: Cambridge, UK, 2017.
- A.G. Tumanovskii, A.L. Shvarts, E.V. Somova, E. Kh. Verbovetskii, G.D. Avrutskii, S.V. Ermakova, R.N. Kalugin, M.V. Lazarev: Review of the Coal-Fired, Over-Supercritical and Ultra-Supercritical Steam Power Plants. Thermal Engineering (2017), 64, 83–96.
- Di Gianfrancesco: A. Materials for Ultra-Supercritical and Advanced Ultra-Supercritical Power Plants, Woodhead Publishing: Duxford, UK, 2017.
- R Viswanathan, K. Coleman, U. Rao: Materials for Ultra- Supercritical Coal-Fired Power Plant Boilers, International Journal of Pressure Vessel and Piping (2006), 83, 778–783.
- Rheinhafen-Dampfkraftwerk Block 8 Achieved A 47.5% Net Thermal Efficiency To World-Class Level. Available online: https://www.world-energy.org/article/1198.html
- B. Tramošljika, P. Blecich, I. Bonefač ić, V. Glažar: Advanced Ultra-Supercritical Coal-Fired Power Plant with Post- Combustion Carbon Capture: Analysis of Electricity Penalty and CO2 Emission Reduction, Sustainability (2021), 13(2), 801.
- R. Rasheed, H. Javed, A. Rizwan, F. Sharif, A. Yasar, A.B. Tabinda, S.R. Ahmad, Y. Wang, Y. Su: Life Cycle Assessment of a Cleaner Supercritical Coal-Fired Power Plant. Journal of Cleaner Production (2021), 279, 123869.