VEHICLE ENGINES. APPLICATION OF FUELS TYPES. EFFICIENCY
Initial design of an internal combustion engine for a range extender unit for electric vehicles
- 1 Czech Technical University in Prague, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Automotive, Combustion Engine and Railway Engineering
The present paper is focusing on a basic research for an initial design of an internal combustion engine for use in a range extender unit for an electric vehicle. The paper introduces a short description of the power train concept as well some interesting points, problems and challenges during the design process of the internal combustion engine. Some of them are connected with a proper selection of the engine configuration (number of the cylinders, their configuration, etc.), a determination of the engine main parameters (bore and stroke) and how they affect the engine operation and performance. Different parametric models are used and some output results are presented.
- I. Brankov, Preliminary proposal of an internal combustion engine as a range extender, STČ 2017, (2017)
- I. Brankov, An electric vehicle with an internal combustion engine as a range extender, STČ 2018, (2018)
- K. Hoag, B. Dondlinger, Vehicular Engine Design, (Springer, Vienna 2016)
- J. Macek, Spalovací motory, (Nakl. ČVUT, Praha 2012)
- Ch. Mi, A. Masrur, Hybrid Electric Vehicles, (Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA 2018)
- GT-SUITE Engine Performance Tutorials version 2016, Gamma Technologies, Inc.
- GT-SUITE Vehicle Driveline and HEV Tutorials, version 2016, Gamma Technologies, Inc.