MECHANIZATION IN AGRICULTURE
Economic scheduling model for mechanical-manual manufacturing of seasonal product under uncertain supply time and quantity of the raw materials
- 1 Department of Industrial Engineering and Management – SCE-Shamoon College of Engineering, Beer Sheva, Israel
The research proposes a newsvendor-like model that enables determining the optimal timing for renting machinery with its operators before the arrival of the raw material, and derives an optimal manufacturing strategy. The research includes a case study with a comprehensive analysis for a blueberry harvester that demonstrates the applicability of the proposed model. The rigorous theoretical analysis of the optimal harvesting strategy is validated by numerical experiments. The presented results may help researchers and agriculture practitioners in planning mechanical-manual integrated manufacturing.
- Gurevich, G., Keren, B., Laslo, Z. (2017). Optimal policy for using a rented farming machine. Mechanization in Agriculture and Conserving of the Resources, 63: 48-50.
- Keren, B., Pliskin, J.S. (2006). A benchmark solution for the risk-averse newsvendor problem. European Journal of Operational Research, 174(3): 1643-1650.
- Ferrer, J.C., Mac-Cawley, A., Maturana, S., Toloza, S., Vera, J., (2008). An optimization approach for scheduling wine grape harvest operations, International Journal of Production Economics, 112 (2): 985-999.
- Tan, B., Çömden, N., (2012). Agricultural planning of annual plants under demand, maturation, harvest, and yield risk, European Journal of Operational Research, 220 (2): 539-549.