Water is the basic source of life for plants, animals, and humans. However, the impact of climate change drastically reduces its sources. Rational consumption of clean water leads to the need for finding alternative water sources for irrigation of gardens. As an alternative source, greywater can play an important role. Greywater is waste water from households, which does not contain faecal compounds. The aim of this paper to present design concepts of systems for collecting, purifying and application of greywater and well water for irrigation of gardens. The concept is developed using previous own research results, as well as available literature, on the benefits and risks of using greywater, and the effects of purifying greywater and well water through various treatment systems. The paper presents two systems: (1) a system which allows the storage and irrigation using raw greywater and (2) a system where greywater supply is not continuous. The second system is suitable not only for households but also for other facilities, e.g. touristic, recreational and weekend resorts. This system proposes alternate irrigation with grey and well water for resolving two problems: inappropriate greywater quality and inappropriate water quantity. In general, the system reduces the risk of soil degradation and is water saving by automatically adjusting irrigation with regard to the soil moisture content.
- Abdo, K.M. Water Reuse in Palestine, Ministry of Agriculture, General Directorate of Soil & Irrigation, Ramallah, Palestine, 2001, 22.
- Al-Hamaiedeh H. Efect of grey water reuse in irrigation on soil and plants - Desalination, 256 (1), 2010, 115-119, (Al-Hamaiedeh H., and Bino M.).
- Bark K. Amélioration de la gestion communale en matière d'eau et d'assainissement à Koulikoro, Mali, Rapport de project ecosan Koulikoro – Mali, OtterWasser GmbH / GTZ, 2001, 1-11, (Bark K., and Drabo K.M.).
- Christova Boal, D. An investigation into greywater reuse for urban residential properties - Desalination, 1996, 391-397 (Christova Boal, D., Eden, R.E., McFarlane, S.).
- Dabić B. Greywater In The Service Of Horticultural Crops. In: 21st Century Water Management in the Intersection of Sciences, II International Conference on Water Sciences in Szarvas, Szent István University, Hungary, 2019, 258 – 263, (Dabić B., Grabić J., Mladenović E.).
- Dabić B. The Impact of Water Quality on the Physiological and Morphological Parameters of Red Clover (Trifolium pratense L.). In: XXII International Eco-Conference® 26nd-28th September, Ecological Movement Of Novi Sad, Safe Food, Novi Sad, Serbia, 2018, 90-97, (Dabić B., Dragić V., Grabić J., Gvozdenac S., Vasiljević S., Đurakovac A., Mladenović E).
- Dabić B. Preliminary research on morphological features of plant Berberis thunbergii DC. upon grey water irrigation. In: ECOConference „Environmental protection of urban and suburban settlements“, 27-29 September, Novi Sad, Serbia, Proceedings 2017, 99-106, (Dabić B., Grabić J., Mladenović E., Orlović, S., Benka P., Čukanović J., Pavlović L.).
- Dallas S. Reedbeds for greywater treatment - case study in Santa Elena - Monteverde, Costa Rica, Central America - Ecological Engineering, 23 (1), 2004, 55-61, (Dallas S., Scheffe B., Ho G.).
- Dixon, A. M. Guidelines for greywater reuse: Health issues - J. CIWEM, 13, 1999, 322–326, (Dixon, A. M., Butler, D., Fewkes, A.).
- EPA. Greywater (archived), The Environment Protection Authority, South Australia, 2018. Available: https://www.epa.sa.gov.au/environmental_info/water_quality/programs/grey_and_black_water_discharge/grey_water
- Eriksson, E. Characteristics of grey wastewater - Urban Water, 4 (1), 2002, 85-104, (Eriksson, E., Auffarth, K., Henze, M., Ledin, A.).
- Finch, C. Graywater literature research, San Antonio Water System, Texas Cooperative Extension, The Center for Water Research, UTSA, 2003, (Finch, C., Lillibridge, B., Fry, E., Lesikar, B., Silvy, V., McNally, M., Innis, E., Ovuegbe, E.).
- Imhof Barbara. Greywater treatment on household level in developing countries – a state of the art review, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, 2005, 1-98, (Imhof Barbara, Mühlemann J Oëlle,).
- Maimon A. Parameters affecting greywater quality and its safety for reuse - Science of the Total Environment, 487, 2014, 20–25, (Maimon A., Friedler E., Gross A.).
- May-Le Ng. Household Greywater Reuse for Garden Irrigation in Perth, Environmental Engineering Project 640.406, Centre for Water Research, University of Western Australia, 2004, 1-92.
- OMICK. Graywater Systems, 2014. Available: http://www.omick.net/graywater/graywater.htm
- Roesner L. Long-term Effects of Landscape Irrigation Using Household Graywater: Literature Review and Synthesis, Water Environment Research Foundation (WERF) and Soap and Detergent Association (SDA), Washington DC, USA, 2006, (Roesner L., Qian Y., Criswell M., Stromberger M., Klein S.).
- Siggins A. Effects of long-term greywater disposal on soil: A case study - Science of the Total Environment, 557-558, 2016, 627-635, (Siggins A., Burton V., Ross C., Lowe H., Horswell J.). UN Water. Water and Climate Change, United Nations, 2017. Available: http://www.unwater.org/water-facts/climate-change/
- WHO. Overview of Greywater Management Health Considerations, (Report WHO-EM/CEH/125/E), World Health Organization, Geneva, 2006.
- WHO. WHO Guidelines for the Safe Use of Wastewater, Excreta and Greywater – Volume IV: Excreta and greywater use in agriculture, World Health Organization, United Nations Environment Programme, 2006а.