MECHANIZATION IN AGRICULTURE
THE EFFECT OF N-BUTANOL ADDITIONS TO DIESEL FUEL ON ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND EXHAUST EMISSIONS
- 1 Faculty of Agricultural Engineering – Power and Transport Machinery Engineering Institute, Aleksandras Stulginskis University, Lithuania
The article deals with the effects of butanol-diesel fuel blends on performance and exhaust emissions of a turbocharged, CRDI 1154HP (85 kW) diesel engine. Load characteristics were taken when running with normal diesel fuel and n-butanol-diesel fuel blends DB1, DB2, DB3, and DB4 possessing 1wt%, 2wt%, 3wt%, and 4wt% of fuel-oxygen at speeds of 1800 and 2500 rpm. The auto-ignition delay increased by 15.5%, burn angle MBF 50 and the combustion ended 7.6% and 6.5% earlier in the cycle, bsfc and engine efficiency were 2.8% and 1.9% higher when using fuel blend DB4 than the respective values of 17.40, 20.90 and 61.20 CADs, 234.4 g/kWh and 0.361 a fully loaded (100%) straight diesel develops at speed of 2500 rpm. The NOx, CO, THC emissions, and smoke decreased by 5.1%, 29.5%, 3.7 times, and 48.1% against the respective values of 1020 ppm, 563 ppm, 260 ppm, and 12.9% a straight diesel develops under these test conditions.
- Public Low 159 – July 14, 1955 (p. 322): An ACT to provide research and technical assistance relating to air pollution control. Chapter 360, July 15, 1955, 2 p.
- Labeckas G., Slavinskas S. Study of exhaust emissions of direct injection diesel engine operating on ethanol, petrol, and rapeseed oil blends. Energy Conversion and Management, 2009, Vol. 50, Issue 3, p. 792–812.
- Labeckas G., Slavinskas S, Mažeika M. The effect of ethanol-diesel-biodiesel blends on combustion, performance, and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine. Energy Conversion and Management, 2014, Vol. 79, Issue 3, p. 698–720.
- Labeckas G., Slavinskas S., Kanapkienė I. (2017a). The individual effects of cetane number, fuel-oxygen or fuel properties on the ignition delay, combustion characteristics, and cyclic variation of a turbocharged CRDI diesel engine – Part 1. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 148, Issue 9, p. 1003–1027.
- Labeckas G., Slavinskas S., Kanapkienė I. (2017b). The individual effects of cetane number, fuel-oxygen or fuel properties on performance efficiency, exhaust smoke and emissions of a turbocharged CRDI diesel engine - Part 2. Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 149, Issue 10, p. 442-466.
- Rakopoulos D.C., Rakopoulos C.D., Giakoumis E.G. Impact of properties of vegetable oil, bio-diesel, ethanol and n-butanol on the combustion and emissions of turbocharged HDDI diesel engine operating under steady and transient conditions. Fuel, 2015, Vol. 156, p. 1-19.
- Rakopoulos D.C., Rakopoulos C.D., Kyritsis D.C. Butanol, or DEE blends with either straight vegetable oil or biodiesel excluding fossil fuel: Comparative effects on diesel engine combustion attributes, cyclic variability, and regulated emissions trade-off. Energy, 2016, Vol. 115, p. 314-325.
- Rakopoulos D.C., Rakopoulos C.D., Giakoumis E.G. Comparative Evaluation of Ethanol, n-Butanol, and Diethyl Ether Effects as Biofuel Supplements on Combustion Characteristics, Cyclic Variations, and Emissions Balance in Light-Duty Diesel Engine. Journal of Energy Engineering, 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 2, p.8.
- Yanowitz J., Ratcliff M.A., McCormick R.L., Taylor J.D., Murphy M.J. Compendium of Experimental Cetane Numbers. Technical Report NREL/TP-5400-61693, August 2014. 62 p.
- Lapuerta M., Hernandez J.J., Fernandez J.R., Barba J., Ramos A., Rodriguez D.F. Emission benefits from the use of n-butanol blends in a Euro 6 diesel engine. International Journal of Engine Research, 2017, p. 1-14.
- Emberger P., Hebecker D., Pickel P., Remmele E., Thuneke K. Emission behaviour of vegetable oil fuel compatible tractors fuelled with different pure vegetable oils. Fuel 2016, Vol. 167, Issue 3, p. 257-270.
- Heywood J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. – Co – Singapore for manufacture and export (International edition) 1988. 930 p.