MECHANIZATION IN AGRICULTURE
Evaluation of effects of biofuels blends on performance and emissions of diesel engine
- 1 University of Applied Engineering Sciences, Lithuania
Growth of the economy and living standards of the population increase the need of people’s and goods transportation by sea, railroads, the air, and highways. As a result, increases the need to use more ships, trains, airplanes, heavy-duty trucks, self-powered machines, city busses, and light-duty passenger cars. Unavoidably increases the demand of the fuel to be consumed, however the natural oil – resources are largely exhausted over hundreds of years. Moreover, the increased consumption of a fossil-origin fuel creates the urgent environment pollution problems and climate change. The automotive air-pollution problem emerged already aim of this article was to
investigate the influence of three-component fuel on the efficiency and emission performance of a diesel engine. The results obtained during the research are presented, which are investigated with a single-cylinder diesel engine “ORUVA F1L511”. The study examines diesel fuel and fuel blends J5Bu5, J5Bu10 and J5Bu15. The results obtained in the study are comparable. Engine load characteristics were recorded at n = 2000 rpm. The study found that the lowest carbon monoxide (CO) emissions (163ppm) were obtained by using J5Bu5 fuel blend. Maximum nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions were obtained with the engine running on diesel fuel (1839ppm). The lowest NOx emission was obtained with the engine running on a three-component J5Bu15 fuel blend (1643ppm). The highest opacity was obtained when the engine was fuelled with 100% diesel fuel and at full load.
- Labeckas, Gvidonas; Slavinskas, Stasys; Vilutienė, Valentina. The effect of aviation fuel JP-8 and diesel fuel blends on engine performance and exhaust emissions. Journal of KONES, 2015, 22.
- Labeckas, Gvidonas; Slavinskas, Stasys. Combustion phenomenon, performance and emissions of a diesel engine with aviation turbine JP-8 fuel and rapeseed biodiesel blends. Energy Conversion and Management, 2015, 105: 216-229.
- Labeckas G., Slavinskas S. The effect of rapeseed oil methyl ester on direct injection Diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions. Energy Conversion and Management, 2006, Vol. 47, Nr. 13–14, p. 1954– 1967.
- Labeckas, G., Slavinskas, S., & Mažeika, M. The effect of ethanol–diesel–biodiesel blends on combustion, performance and emissions of a direct injection diesel engine. Energy Conversion and Management, 2014, 79, 698-720.
- Gawron, Bartosz, et al. Performance and emission characteristic of miniature turbojet engine FED Jet A- 1/alcohol blend. Journal of KONES, 2016, 23.
- H. Solmaz, H. Yamık, Y. İçingür , A. Calam Investigation of the effects of civil aviation fuel Jet A1 blends on diesel engine performance and emission characteristics, Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Science Vol. 21, April 2014, pp. 200-206
- EC, E. C. WHITE PAPER roadmap to a single European transport area towards a competitive and resource efficient transport system. COM (2011) 144 final [online], 2011.
- Wei L., Cheung C.S., Ning Z. Effects of biodiesel-ethanol and biodiesel-butanol blends on the combustion, performance and emissions of a diesel engine. Energy, 2018-07-15, Vol. 155, Issue 3, p. 957-970, doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2018.05.049.
- YILMAZ, Nadir, et al. Effect of biodiesel–butanol fuel blends on emissions and performance characteristics of a diesel engine. Fuel, 2014, 135: 46-50. 15.
- Dogan O. The influence of n-butanol/diesel fuel blends utilization on a small diesel engine performance and emissions. Fuel 2011;90:2467–72.
- Yao M, Wang H, Zheng Z, Yue Y. Experimental study of n-butanol additive and multi-injection on HD diesel engine performance and emissions. Fuel 2010;89:2191– 201.
- Rakopoulos DC, Rakopoulos CD, Giakoumis EG, Papagiannakis RG, Kyritsis DC. Influence of properties of various common bio-fuels on the combustion and emission characteristics of high-speed DI (direct injection) diesel engine: vegetable oil, bio-diesel, ethanol, n-butanol, diethyl ether. Energy 2014;73:354–66. 14 August.