Approaching a DoS attack using change and risk management methods
- 1 Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering Ss. Cyril and Methodius University, Skopje, R.N. Macedonia
The Information Technology security threats are emerging with each day passing by. The implementation of the technology into every field of society brings changes. Finding a way to manage these changes would be a success, and, by doing so, it would mitigate the risks they bring. Data transmission nowadays is unsecure like never before. Challenging is the way that should be found to cope with these kinds of evolutionary changes. Among the top threats in networks lies the DoS attack. It has been a long time since this kind of attack is around, but that doesn’t reduce the fact that this type of attacks is still dangerous and devastating. In order to cope with this kind of attack, we need to know how to manage risks and changes during a DoS attack. Because of this, it is very important that defensive mechanisms are implemented and integrated so that unauthorized access would be prevented from accessing your network or data. This refers to individuals and everyone else working in companies that are working in the field of IT, because at some point, we all share the same thing-devices (mobile phones, personal computers, devices at work, etc.). The base of the IT foundation is knowing how to protect yourself and your data. Due to this, we need to work hard and exploit every possible threat and attack from the inside out. Not only to reduce or mitigate the already occurred impact, but also to prevent these types of failures from happening in the future.
- Byron J. Williams, Jeffrey Carver, Ray Vaughn, Change Risk Assessment: Understanding Risks Involved in Changing Software Requirements, (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Mississippi State University, MS, USA, 2, 2006).
- Houssain Kettani, Polly Wainwright, On the Top Threats to Cyber Systems, (The Beacom College of Computer and Cyber Sciences, Dakota State University, S.Dak., USA; Department of Computing and Information Sciences, Valparaiso University, IN, USA, 2-4, 2019).
- Nikhil Tripathi, B.M. Mehtre, DoS and DDoS Attacks: Impact, Analysis and Countermeasures, Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology, (Hyderabad, India, 2-5, 2013).
- Allen Householder, Art, Manion, Linda Pesante, George M. Weaver, Managing the Threat of Denial-of-Service Attacks, (Carnegie Mellon University, PA, USA, 1-4, 2001).