Effect of printing parameters on mechanical properties of 3D printed PLA/carbon fibre composites
- 1 Department of Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Faculty - Akdeniz University, Turkey
Three-dimensional (3D) printing technologies have been developed for prototype purposes. However, it has become possible to manufacture various functional parts with improving mechanical properties of 3D printing materials. Although polylactic acid (PLA) is the most widely used 3D printing material, the mechanical properties required for functional parts are not sufficient. For this reason, carbon fibre reinforced PLA composites are preferred as 3D printing material to advance the mechanical properties of the fabricated parts. However, for 3D printed parts, it is known that the layer thickness and printing orientation angles affect the mechanical properties. In this study, unreinforced PLA and 15% carbon fibre reinforced PLA composite tensile specimens were 3D printed using fused deposition modeling (FDM) technique. The effects of printing orientation angle and layer thickness on modulus of elasticity and tensile strength are investigated. 3D printed unreinforced PLA samples exhibited better tensile performance as compared to carbon fibre reinforced PLA composite samples.
- Coppola, B., Garofalo, E., Di Maio, L., Scarfato, P., Incarnato, L. Investigation on the use of PLA/hemp composites for the fused deposition modelling (FDM) 3D printing (2018) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1981, art. no. 020086, .
- Montalvo Navarrete, J.I., Hidalgo-Salazar, M.A., Escobar Nunez, E., Rojas Arciniegas, A.J. Thermal and mechanical behavior of biocomposites using additive manufacturing (2018) International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing, 12 (2), pp. 449-458.
- Patanwala, H.S., Hong, D., Vora, S.R., Bognet, B., Ma, A.W.K. The microstructure and mechanical properties of 3D printed carbon nanotube-polylactic acid composites (2018) Polymer Composites, 39, pp. E1060-E1071.
- Papon, E.A., Haque, A. Tensile properties, void contents, dispersion and fracture behaviour of 3D printed carbon nanofiber reinforced composites (2018) Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 37 (6), pp. 381-395.
- Kariz, M., Sernek, M., Obućina, M., Kuzman, M.K. Effect of wood content in FDM filament on properties of 3D printed parts (2018) Materials Today Communications, 14, pp. 135-140.
- Li, Y., Gao, S., Dong, R., Ding, X., Duan, X. Additive Manufacturing of PLA and CF/PLA Binding Layer Specimens via Fused Deposition Modeling (2018) Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 27 (2), pp. 492-500.
- Marconi, S., Alaimo, G., Mauri, V., Torre, M., Auricchio, F. Impact of graphene reinforcement on mechanical properties of PLA 3D printed materials (2018) 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications, IMWS-AMP 2017, 2018-January, pp. 1-3.
- Haq, R.H.A., Rahman, M.N.A., Ariffin, A.M.T., Hassan, M.F., Yunos, M.Z., Adzila, S. Characterization and Mechanical Analysis of PCL/PLA composites for FDM feedstock filament (2017) IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 226 (1), art. no. 012038, .
- Li, Y.-H., Dong, Q., Tai, Q.-A., Gao, S.-Y., Guan, H., Yan, W. Mechanical properties of carbon fiber composite in fused deposition modeling of additive manufacturing (2017) Suxing Gongcheng Xuebao/Journal of Plasticity Engineering, 24 (3), pp. 225-230.
- Tao, Y., Wang, H., Li, Z., Li, P., Shi, S.Q. Development and application ofwood flour-filled polylactic acid composite filament for 3d printing (2017) Materials, 10 (4), art. no. 339, .
- Rangisetty, S., Peel, L.D. The effect of infill patterns and annealing on mechanical properties of additively manufactured thermoplastic composites (2017) ASME 2017 Conference on Smart Materials, Adaptive Structures and Intelligent Systems, SMASIS 2017, 1, .
- Ibrahim, M., Badrishah, N.S., Sa'ude, N., Ibrahim, M.H.I. Sustainable natural bio composite for FDM feedstocks (2014) Applied Mechanics and Materials, 607, pp. 65-69.
- ASTM D638-14 Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics