Application of submodeling in strength analysis of horizontal tank for storage of petroleum products
- 1 University of Slavonski Brod, Croatia
- 2 TD Komunalac d.o.o., Croatia
This paper shows the approach of submodeling in finite element analysis in process of designing the horizontal tank for storing petroleum products. Those kinds of tanks are made at exact standards or slightly altered by customers’ demands. Before the numerical analysis of the tank, the tank standards are described as well as numerical analysis. In the paper, the methods which will be used in obtaining solutions by finite element method were described. 3D finite elements have been used for numerical analysis. After getting the results of full tank model meshed with 3D tetrahedral final elements, the technique of submodeling has been used to achieve more accurate results in critical locations of the tank. In the final aspect, result analysis was conducted, where the results were confirmed so that the tank complies with the standard and meets all the criteria given to the designer.
- EN 12285-1:2018, Workshop fabricated steel tanks - Part 1: Horizontal cylindrical single skin and double skin tanks for the underground storage of flammable and nonflammable water polluting liquids other than for heating and cooling of buildings, 122, (2018.)
- Pireko d.o.o., Oroslavje, Hrvatska, Technical Catalogue. Fuel tanks.
- Ibrahim, A., Ryu, Y. and Saidpour, M. Stress Analysis of Thin- Walled Pressure Vessels. Modern Mechanical Engineering, 5, 1-9., (2015)
- Anandhu, P. D., Avis, A. Design and Analysis of Horizontal Pressure Vessel and Thickness optimization. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology (IJIRSET), 7, 8171-8177., (2017)
- Zore, A. Y., Qaimi, M. G. Design and Optimization of Saddle for Horizontal Pressure Vessel, International Engineering Research Journal (IERJ) Special Issue 2, 4, 4201-4204., (2015)
- Birhane, A.H., Hari, Y. Finite Element Analysis and Design of a Horizontal Tank on Saddle Supports. Proceedings of the ASME 2002 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference. Vancouver, BC, Canada. August 5–9, 7, 275-281. (2002)
- Agale, C.M., Awachat, P.N. Finite Element Analysis of Horizontal Pressure Vessels Saddle, International Journal of Innovations in Engineering and Science, Vol. 2, No.2, 7, 7-13. (2017)
- Patil, Jaydip & Kumbhar, Samir & More, Nilesh & Patil, Ranjit. Finite Element Analysis of Saddle Support for Stack Heat Exchanger. International Journal of Engineering Applied Sciences and Technology. 5, 78-85. (2020)
- Patil R. B., Kulkarni V. V. Finite Element Analysis of Support Designs for Road Tankers, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), Vol. 5, No.2, 8, 836-843. (2018)
- Ansys, ANSYS 18.0, Ansys Inc., 2017.
- SolidWorks Premium 2021, Dassault Systems, 2021.
- W. B. Greyer, Handbook of storage tank systems: Codes, Regulations, and Designs, 360, (2000.)
- EN 10028-2:2017, Flat products made of steels for pressure purposes – Part 2: Non-alloy and alloy steels with specified elevated temperature properties, 31, (2008.
- EN 1993-1-7:2008/NA, Eurocode 3: Design of steel structures - - Part 1-7: Plated structures subject to out of plane loading, 5, (2008.)