Design of high-voltage insulators with a capacity of 12 kV and 24 kV according to standard specifications and determination of the mechanical properties in virtual environment, as well as verification and validation of the results in laboratory conditions was the aim of this paper. The composition of the insulators was 50 vol. % epoxy resin and 50 vol. % SiO2. Based on the physical and mechanical parameters of high-voltage insulators, 3D models were generated to correlate with them. Virtual simulations of the optimized models were performed by using SolidWorks software based on Finite Element Method. In order to re-examine the results, laboratory tests on physical specimens for determination of tensile, compression and three-point bending strength were conducted. The simulations were positively verified and gave promising results. The research conclusions show that the simulations in virtual environment provide easier and faster design and development of high-voltage insulators, which is of great importance for power transmission network industry.
- H. M. Schneider, J. F. Hall, G. Karady and J. Renowden, Nonceramic insulators for transmission lines, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 2214- 2221, (1989)
- J.-L.Bessede, Development of advanced materials for transmission and distribution (T&D) networks equipment, Electricity Transmission, Distribution and Storage systems, © Woodhead Publishing Limited, 133-142, (2013)
- J. Zha, Z. Dang, W. Li, Y. Zhu and G. Chen, Effect of micro-Si3N4-nano-Al2O,sub>3 co-filled particles on thermal conductivity, dielectric and mechanical properties of silicone rubber composites, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, vol. 21, no. 4, 1989- 1996, (2014)
- R.Sarathi, R.K. Sahu, P. Rajeshkumar, Understanding the thermal, mechanical and electrical properties of epoxy nanocomposites, Elsevier Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 445-446, 567-578, (2007)
- G.Iyer, R. S. Gorur, R. Richert Dielectric properties of epoxy based nanocomposites for high voltage insulation, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Vol. 18, No. 3, (2011)
- G. Bhatt, Usage of integrated CAD/CAE/CAM system in foundaries, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol. 2 Issue 6, (2013