The time being, one of the greatest concerns is the environmental pollution. Nowadays, various dangerous compounds reach to the air, soil and water. Pharmaceuticals, such as 17α-ethinylestradiol (EE2), are one of the most emerging pollutants in water ecosystems. Hence, powerful but green approaches should be developed in order to completely remove the pollutants. Heterogeneous photocatalysis is a sustainable and efficient process in the removal of organic pollutants, such as pharmaceuticals. ZnO is one of the most commonly used semiconductors but also possess some drawbacks. In this study novel synthesis pathway of ZnO nanoparticles from banana peel extract was
obtained. Besides, the photocatalytic efficiency of the newly synthesized ZnO was examined in the degradation of EE2. Both the eco-friendly ZnO nanoparticles, as well as pure banana peel extract showed a promising photocatalytic activity in the degradation of EE2 under simulated solar irradiation (SSI). Namely, EE2 was completely degraded after 60 min of SSI.
- P. O. Ukaogo, U. Ewuzie, C. V. Onwuka, Environmental pollution: causes, effects, and the remedies, in: P. Chowdhary, A. Raj, D. Verma, Y. Akhter (Eds.), Microorganisms for Sustainable Environment and Health, Elsevier Inc., 2020, pp. 419−429.
- UNESCO, UN-Water, 2020: United Nations World Water Development Report 2020: Water and Climate Change, Paris, UNESCO.
- D. Ren, F. Chen, Z. Ren, Y. Wang, Process Saf. Environ. Prot. 121 (2019), 367−373.
- F. P. Chaves, G. Gomes, A. Della-Flora, A. Dallegrave, C. Sirtori, E. M. Saggioro, D.M. Bila, Sci. Total Environ. 746 (2020), Art. No. 141041.
- A. Santos, S. Rodríguez, F. Pardo, A. Romero, Sci. Total Environ. 563−564 (2016), 657−663.
- S. Bognár, P. Putnik, D. Šojić Merkulov, Nanomaterials 12 (2022), Art. No. 263.