The presence of endemic species in Lake Ohrid exhibit significant spatial variation, related to prevailing climate, lake morphology and fluvial input into the lake. The high biodiversity of the lake was supported by the subaquatic inflow of cool, effects of climate change on the entire lake ecosystem, affects deep water oxygen availability, nutrient cycling and trophic linkages may yet be profound as the structure of the endemic diatom taxa. The dilution of time by time lake waters with pure spring waters is important for the oligotrophic status of Lake Ohrid and its subsequent low algae productivity. We found the highest number of endemic species at different depths from the lake shore, compared to the littoral area, where almost endemic species are either very widespread or almost absent.
- Albrecht, C. & Wilke, T. (2008) Ancient Lake Ohrid: biodiversity and evolution. Hydrobiologia 615: 103–140.
- Hauffe et al., 2010; On the interpretation of weight vectors of linear models in multivariate neuroimaging. Vol. 87, 15 February 2014, Pages 96-110.
- Jurilj, A. (1956a) Osobitosti mikroflore Ohridskog Jezen (The peculiarities of the microflora from Lake Ohrida in Yugos l avi a). Godisnjak Bioloskog Instituta u Sarajevu (Annuaire de l'Institut Biologique a Sarajevo) 1–2: 177–184.
- Kelly M.G., Whitton B.A: The trophic diatom index: a new index for monitoring eutrophication in the rivers. Journal of Applied Phycology, 1995, 7. pg. 433-444.
- Krammer K., Lange-Bertalot H: Bacillariophyceae, Süsswasserflora von Mitteleuropa, 1986-2001, 2/1: pp. 876; 2/2: pp. 596; 2/3: pp. 576; 2/4: pp. 437; 2/5: Fischer, Stuttgart. Teil 1-5, Gustan Fischer Stuttgard-New York.
- Kabo M (ed.) (1990-1991) Gjeografia fizike e Shqipërisë, Vol. I & II, Akademia e Shkencave. Qendra e kërkimeve gjeografike, Tirane..
- Pano N. (2015) Pasuritë ujore të Shqipërisë. Ak. Shk. Tiranë, 634.
- Kupe L., Imeri A., Cara M., Kurti D: Use of diatom and macrophyte index to evaluate the water quality in Ohrid Lake. Journal of the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture of Gazi University, 2013, Vol 28(2): pg. 393-400.
- Kupe L: Vleresimi i gjendjes mjedisore te disa habitateve ujore shqiptare mbeshtetur tek diatomete. PhD Dissertation, Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental, Agricultural University of Tirana, Albania, pg. 1-134. 2006.
- Levkov & Williams: Fifteen new diatom (Bacillariophyta) species from Lake Ohrid, Macedonia, Phytotaxa, 2011; 30: 1-41.
- Levkov Z., Williams D: Checklist of diatom (Bacillariophyta) from Lake Ohrid and Lake Prespa (Macedonia), and their watersheds. Phytotaxa, 2012; 45(1):1-76.
- Levkov, Z., Krstic, S., Metzeltin, D. & Nakov, T: Diatoms of Lakes Prespa and Ohrid, about 500 taxa from ancient lake system. Iconographia Diatomologica, 2007; 16: 1-613.
- Lund J.W.G., Kipling C., Lecren E. D: The inverted microscope method of estimating algal numbers and the statistical basis of estimations by counting. Hydrobiologia, 2; 1958: pg.143- 170.
- Matzinger, A., Schmid, M., Veljanoska-Sarafiloska, E., et al. (2007) Eutrophication of ancient Lake Ohrid: Global warming amplifies detrimental effects of increased nutrient inputs. Limnology and Oceanography 52: 338–353.
- MEEPP, 2003. Monitoring and Evaluation of the Emergency Plan Progress (MEEPP): End-of-Project Evaluation. United States Agency for International Development, 2010
- Prygiel J. P. et al: Determination of the biological diatom index (IBD NF T 90-354): results of an intercomparison exercise. Journal of Applied Phycology 2002: 14, pg. 27-39
- Stankoviç: The Balkan Lake Ohrid and its Living World. With 101 fig.‐ Den Haag, 1960.
- Trajanovski et al., 2010. Testing the spatial and temporal framework of speciation in an ancient lake species flock: the leech genus Dina (Hirudinea: Erpobdellidae) in Lake Ohrid. Biogeosciences, 7, 3387–3402, 2010.