TRANSPORT. SAFETY AND ECOLOGY. LOGISTICS AND MANAGEMENT
Measures for improving pavements roughness
- 1 Gheorghe Asachi Technical University of Iasi, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Building Services, Iasi, Romania
The occurrence of road accidents due to a pavement surface with inadequate roughness is an alarming issue. This problem involves not only the design, construction and maintenance of road pavements, but also the properties of the materials used in the asphalt mixes, traffic volume and vehicle speed, as well as tire characteristics, human factors, environmental conditions and many other contributing elements. As a result, there is a growing awareness of these problems and adequate measures have to be taken by road administrations in order to improve traffic safety. For the design, construction and maintenance of a modern road network, along with strength and sustainability, skid resistance has become an integral part of a safe and efficient road system. With the increase in traffic speed and volume, the road pavements built today must have initial and continuous qualities of high skid resistance. It is a well-known fact that the pavements skid resistance is reduced primarily by mechanical wear and polishing due to traffic action; however, to what extent the friction characteristics are diminished and the other causes and effects of this reduction are problems that road engineers have to face. Although the automotive and tire industries have contributed greatly to the research and development of skid-resistant road pavements, it is quite obvious that most of the improvements will go to pavements. In the following, the paper will focus on establishing the roughness criteria that can be applied from the early stages of the construction of a road infrastructure, by selecting those materials and techniques that lead to a high level of roughness and thus traffic safety. Also, the paper presents the results of recent experimental studies undertaken to determine the road roughness, using the microtexture as well as macrotexture criteria, conducted in Romania on the national roads DN 2 km 212 + 000 and DN 15 km 290 + 870.
- Highway Research Board, Special Report 101. Control of Pavement Slipperiness. Asphalt Pavement Cracking, Proceedings of the Western Summer Meeting, Cosponsored by the Colorado Department Of Highways, Held August 12-13, 1968, Denver, Colorado, (1969)
- D. Noyce, B. Hussain, J. Yambo, J. Chapman, A. Bill, Incorporating Road Safety into Pavement Management: Maximizing Surface Friction for Road Safety Improvements, Midwest Regional University Transportation Center, College of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, (2007)
- P. Cairney, Skid Resistance and Crashes – A Review of the Literature. Research Report No. 311, ARRB Transport Research Ltd, Vermont South Victoria, Australia, (1997).
- P.W. Jayawickrama, R. Prasanna, S.P. Senadheera, Survey of State Practices to Control Skid Resistance on Hot-Mix Asphalt Concrete Pavements, In Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 1536, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., pp. 52-58, (1996).
- V. Galambos, B. Hegmon, Rice, Kopac, Brinkman. Pavement Texture and Available Skid Resistance, Federal Highway Administration, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C.,(1977).
- F.L. Roberts, P.S. Kandhal, E.R Brown, D-Y. Lee, and T.W. Kennedy. Hot Mix Asphalt Materials, Mixture Design, and Construction. 2nd Edition, NAPA Research and Education Foundation, Lanham, Maryland, (1996).
- ASTM E965-15 Standard Test Method for Measuring Pavement Macrotexture Depth Using a Volumetric Technique (2019)
- A. Surchamp, Collecteur par enrobes Drainants sur Peripherique Parisien. Route Axualites, No. 4, (1995).
- Ministerie van Verkeer en Waterstaat, Structuurschema Verkeer. Vervoer,(1991).
- B. Revuelta M. Bituminous Materials. In: Construction Materials. Springer Textbooks in Earth Sciences, Geography and Environment. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030- 65207-4_14, Print ISBN 978-3-030-65206-7, online ISBN 978-3- 030-65207-4 (2021)
- Asphalt Institute Inc. and European Bitumen Association– Eurobitume, Information Series No. 230, 60 p, (2021)
- Asphalt Institute. www.asphaltinstitute.org
- Eurobitume. www.eurobitume.eu
- ISO 15642, Road construction and maintenance equipment — Asphalt mixing plants — Terminology and commercial specifications (2003)
- STAS 8849, Lucrari de drumuri. Rugozitatea suprafetelor de rulare. Metode de masurare/ Road works. Pavement surface roughness. Measurement methods (1983)
- R EN 13036-1, Caracteristici ale suprafetei drumurilor si aeroporturilor. Metode de incercare. Partea 1: Masurarea adancimii macrotexturii suprafetei imbracamintei, prin tehnica volumetrica a petei/ Road and airport surface pavement characteristics. Test methods. Part 1: Measurement of the macrotexture depth of the pavement surface, using the volumetric stain technique (2010)
- SR EN 13036-4, Caracteristici ale suprafetelor drumurilor si pistelor aeroportuare. Metode de incercare. Partea 4: Metode de masurare a aderentei unei suprafete: incercarea cu pendul/ Road and airport surface pavement characteristics. Test methods. Part 4: Methods for measuring surface adhesion: pendulum testing (2012)
- AND 605, Normativ mixturi asfaltice executate la cald. Conditii tehnice privind proiectarea, prepararea si punerea in opera/Hot asphalt mixes. Technical conditions for design, preparation and execution (2014)