Irrigated agriculture with a world average of 70% withdrawal is the largest fresh water user among all- consumptions and is even higher than 80% in some regions such as semi-arid Konya plain of Turkey. It is impossible to make economic crop production in such environments without irrigation especially for summer crops. Over water abstractions from the groundwater reservoir is inevitable for meeting whole current crop water requirements so this situation may result serious environmental problems such as formation of sinkholes in some places. Following necessary precautions can be taken into considerations for sustainable usages of current water supp lies in water shortage ecosystems like Konya plain of Turkey; 1- Crop pattern should be redesigned in accordance of safely available water supplies, 2- Implementing deficit irrigation program. In that regard, up to 25% deficit irrigation can be suggested for some crops, 3-Developing and widely planting drought resistant cultivars, 4- Improving irrigation areas of practicing pressurized irrigation technologies, 5- Replacement of open channels water delivery systems to the pipe networks, 6- Farmers should be trained about correct agro-water management at farm level with rich visual documents, and 7- Rain-fed farming system could be done for some crops.
- Chartzoulakis K., Bertaki M. Sustainable water management in agriculture under climate change. Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, 2015. Vol.4, P. 88 – 98.
- OECD. Sustainable Management of Water Resources in Agriculture, 2010, 118 ps.
- Ahaneku I.E. Performance evaluation of portable sprinkler irrigation system in Ilorin, Nigeria. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2010, Vol.3, No.7. P. 853-857.
- Kulkarni S. Innovative technologies for water saving in irrigated agriculture. International Journal of Water Resources and Arid Environments, 2011, Vol.1, No.3, P. 226-231.
- Acar B., Direk M. Applied water and irrigation costs of some field crops in Konya province, Turkey. Annals of University of Craiova, Series: Biology, Horticulture, Food Product Processing Technology, Environmental Engineering, 2020, Vol.XXV, No. LXI, P. 265-272.
- Yavuz D., Acar B., Yavuz N., Çiftçi N. Irrigation in various growth strategies effect on yield and water productivity of drip-irrigated sunflower in semi-arid Konya environment, Turkey. International Journal of Agriculture and Economic Development, 2028, Vol. 6, No.2, 7-17.
- Jinxia Z., Ziyong C., Rui Z. Regulated Deficit Drip Irrigation Influences on Seed Maize Growth and Yield under Film. Procedia Engineering, 2012 Vol. 28, P.464 – 468.
- Darko R.O., Shaoqi Y., Junping L., Hoafang Y., Xiangye Z Overview of advances in improving uniformity and water use efficiency of sprinkler irrigation. Int. J. Agric & Biol Eng, 2017, Vol.10, No.2, P. 1-15.
- Azizi B. The Farmers’ Water Management Training in Order to Manage Droughts and Water Crisis in Iran. Biosciences Biotechnology Research Asia, 2018, Vol.15, No.2, P. 359-367.
- Acar B. Deficit Irrigation Effect on Water Use Efficiency of Crops in Arid and Semi-Arid Regions. International Journal of Agriculture and Economic Development, 2019, Vol.7, No.2, P. 18- 25.
- Acar B., Sevinçer B. Water distribution uniformity of sprinkler irrigation systems for different design and environmental conditions. International Journal of Agriculture and Economic Development, 2020, Vol.8, No.2, P.8-16.
- Anonymous. Agricultural Water Management: Water and Development Strategy, Implementation Brief, 2015a, 9 ps.
- Anonymous. Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, General Directorate of Water Management, Ankara, Konya Basin Drought Management Plan, 2015b, 273 ps.
- Acar B., Uğurlu N., Yurteri Y.D., Güven M.S., Samadlı R., Avcı N.E., Hasırcı O.S. Aspects for agricultyral water management in water stress conditions : Case study of Konya Plain, Turkey. International Journal of Environmental & Agriculture Research (IJOEAR), 2020, Vol.6, No.12, P.91-94.
- Sah R.C. Groundwater Depletion and Its Impact on Environment I Kathmandu Valley. A technical Report, Forum for Protection of Public Interest (Pro Public) Gautam Buddha Marg, Anamnagar Kathmandu, 2001, Nepal, 20 ps.
- Acar B., Topak R., Yavuz D., Kalender M.A. Is drip irrigation technique sustainable solution in agriculture for semi-arid regions? A case study of Middle Anatolian Region, Turkey. International Journal of Agriculture and Economic Development, 2014, Vol.2, No.2, P.1-8.
- Seid M.M., Narayanan K. Effect of Deficit Irrigation on Maize under Conventional, Fixed and Alternate Furrow Irrigation Systems at Melkassa, Ethiopia. IJERT, 2015, Vol.4, No.11, P. 119-126.
- Yavuz D., Yavuz N., Süheri S. Design and management of a drip irrigation system for an optimum potato yield. J. Agr. Sci. Tech. 2016, Vol. 18, P. 817-830.