CONSERVING OF THE RESOURCES
Noise loading in beehives made out of different materials
- 1 Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Metal Science, Equipment and Technologies with Hydro- and Aerodynamics Centre „Acad. A. Balevski”, Sofia, Bulgaria
Bees are highly sensitive to noise pollution and in some cases, noise can impact their behaviour. Towards the goal to create optimal living conditions for the bees, we aim to understand how the material of the beehive impacts the microclimate of the beehive. The present paper aims to examine and compare the noise levels inside beehives of the same construction but made out of different materials. Three 10-frame Dadan-Blatt beehives were used in the experiment – a ceramic beehive made out of high-cavity ceramic tiles of marl clay; a ceramic beehive made out of high-cavity ceramic tiles with increased kaolin content and a wooden beehive (pine). The noise was measured in an urbanized area and inside the beehives. The results show that the best performance in terms of noise insulation is the ceramic beehive with increased kaolin content.
- Noise pollution | Definition, Examples, Effects, Control, & Facts | Britannica. (n.d.). Retrieved February 12, 2023, from https://www.britannica.com/science/noise-pollution.
- Hunt, J. H., & Richard, F.-J. (2013). Intracolony vibroacoustic communication in social insects. Insectes Sociaux, 60(4), 403–417. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00040-013-0311-9.
- Kirchner, W. H. (1993). Acoustical communication in honeybees. Apidologie, 24(3), 297–307. https://doi.org/10.1051/apido:19930309.
- HANSSON, Å. (1945). In Lauterzeugung und Lautauffassung der Bienen/ Sound production and conception of sound among bees (Vol. 06).
- Michelsen, A., Kirchner, W. H., & Lindauer, M. (1986). Sound and vibrational signals in the dance language of the honeybee, Apis mellifera. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology, 18(3), 207–212. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00290824
- Frings, H., & Little, F. (1957).Reactions of Honey Bees in the Hive to Simple Sounds. Science, 125(3238), 122– 122.https://doi.org/10.1126/science.125.3238.122.
- ИАОС. (2014). Национален доклад за състоянието и опазването на околната среда в РБългария, Шумово замърсяване—ИАОС. Изпълнителна Агенция По Околна Среда. https://eea.government.bg/bg/soer/2014/noise/index.
- Lepkova,T., Martinova,I., Martinova,G., Marinova,I., & Pincheva,B. (2019). Ceramic Beehive—A Conceptual Paper. IV(2), 52–54.
- REGULATION No. 6 of 26.06.2006 on the environmental noise indicators, taking into account the degree of discomfort during different parts of the day, the limit values of the environmental noise indicators, the methods for evaluating the values of the noise indicators and the harmful effects of noise on the health of the population, Ministry of Healts, Republic of Bulgaria,6(2006),https://eea.government.bg/bg/legislation/noise/nar 6.pdf.