A strategic decision-making tool to generate holistic strategic complexity management strategies for complex engineered systems (SCM) is applied to a real-world case of an industrial manufacturing system at a European health & beauty manufacturer. The case study has the the goal to test and discuss the practical applicability of the SCM framework. As a first step, the SCM basic structure, the applied complexity dimensions in the form of structural, dynamic, and environmental complexity are demonstrated. In a second step, th e framework’s strategic capabilities are theoretically demonstrated based on a set of generic norm strategies. In a third step the results of the SCM appli – cation on the described case is described, results and learnings are identified and discussed. As a final step, a short outlook for further research is provided.
- N. Bennet and G. Lemo ine, “What a d ifference a word makes: Understanding threats to performance in a VUCA world.”, Harvard Bus iness Review 2014, 2014, pp.1-7
- C. Potsangbam, “Adaptive Performance in VUCA era – where is research going?”, International Journal of Management Volume 8 Issue 6, 2017, pp. 99-108
- T. Krawczynksa-Zaucha, “A new paradigm of management and leadership in the VUCA world”, Scientific papers of Silesian university of technology: Organization and Management Series No. 141, 2019, pp. 222-230
- Millar et.al, “Management Innovation in a VUCA World”, California Management Review Vo lume 1 Issue 10, 2018
- M. Törngren and U. Sellgren, “Complexity Challenges in Development of Cyber-Physical Systems”, Springer International Publishing AG, part of Springer Nature 2018, 2018, pp. 478-503.
- Gaham et. al., “Human-in-the-Loop Cyber-Physical Production Systems [Contol HiLCP2sC) A Multi-objective interactive framework Proposal”, Service Orientation in Holonic and Multi-agent Manufacturing, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2013, pp.315-325
- I. Horvarth and B. Gerritsen, “Cyber physical systems: concepts, technologies and implementations”, Proceedings of TMCE 2012, 2012 pp.19-22.R. Nicole, “Title of paper with only first word capitalized,” J. Name Stand. Abbrev., in press.
- M. Törngren and P. Grogan, “How to Deal with the Complexity of Future Cyber-Physical Systems?”, Des igns 2018 2,40, 2018, pp. 1-16
- A. McAfee and E. Brynjo lfsson, “The second machine age”, W.W. Norton & Company, New York, 2014, pp.13- 24; pp.26-34.
- Garcia et. al, “A human-in-the-loop cyber-physical system for collaborative assembly in smart manufacturing”, Procedia CIRP Volume 81, 2019, pp.600-605.
- E. Aslaksen, “Designing complex systems”, CRS Press, 2019, pp.75-85
- A. Afonina, “Strategic Management Tools and Techniques and Organizational Performance: Findings from the Czech Republic”, Journal of Competitiveness Volume 7 Issue 3, 2015
- Qehaja et. al, “Strategic Management Tools and Techniques Usage: A Qualitative Review”, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis Volume 65 Issue 2, 2017, pp. 585-600
- Nouri et. al, “ Analyzing the use of strategic management tools and techniques between Iranian firms”, Academy of strategic management journal Volume 16 Issue 1, 2017
- Qehaja et.al, “Strategic Management Tools and Techniques: A Comparative Analysis of Empirical Studies”, Croatian Economic Survey Vo lume 19 Issue 3, 2017, pp. 67-99
- L. Freund and S. Al-Majeed, "Cyber-Physical Systems as Sources of Dynamic Complexity in Cyber-Physical- Systems of Systems," 2020 International Conference on Innovation and Intelligence for Informatics, Computing and Technologies (3ICT), Sakheer, Bahrain, 2020, pp. 1- 5, doi: 10.1109/3ICT51146.2020.9312015
- L. Freund and S. Al-Majeed, "Modelling Industrial IoT System Complexity," 2020 International Conference on Innovation and Intelligence for Informatics, Computing and Technologies (3ICT), Sakheer, Bahrain, 2020, pp. 1- 5, doi: 10.1109/3ICT51146.2020.9311942.
- S. Jofre, “Strategic Management: The theory and practice of strategy in (business) organizations”, DTUManagement. DTU Management 2011, No. 1, 2020
- T. Sammut-Bonnic i, “Strategic management“, Wiley Encyclopedia of Management -Volume 12 Strategic management, Wiley, 2015
- Ghani et. al., “Critical Internal and External Factors that Affect Firms Strategic Planning.” International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 2020
- Fahrhangi et. al, “Development SWOT Matrix for Strategic Planning in Med ia Organizations”, International Journal of Business and Commerce Volume 1 Number 5, 2021, pp. 1-12
- H. Mohajan., “An Analysis on BCG Growth Sharing Matrix”, Noble International Journal of Business and Management Research Volume 2 Number 1, 2018, pp.1-6
- D. Mourtzis., “Modelling and quantification of industry 4.0 manufacturing complexity based on information theory: a robotics case study”, International Journal of Production Research, 2019 p.3
- I. Garbie, “Concepts and measurements of industrial complexity: a state-of-the-art survey”, Int. J. Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 1,2012, pp.43-55
- A. Wortmann, “Modelling and simulation of industrial systems”, De Lier: Academisch Boeken Centrum, 1991
- A. Johansson, “Entropy and the cost of complexity in industrial production”, Exergy, an International Journal Volume 2, 2002, pp.295-299
- H. Li., “Information Effic iency of Communications for Networked Control in Cyber-Physical Systems: When Carnot Meets Shannon”.2016 IEEE 55th Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2016, pp. 12-14.
- B.Jamshidnezhad, “Internal versus external complexity: how organizations react”, 21st International Congress on Modelling and Simulation, 2015, pp.71-77
- Harrison et.al, “Case Study Research: Foundations and Methodological Orientations”. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research Volume 18 Issue. 1, 2017
- Z. Kaman and Z. Othman, “Valid ity, Reliab ility and Triangulation in Case Study Method: An Experience”, Qualitative Research Conference (QRC) 2016, 2016, pp. 24-26