Eutectic solder alloys are widely used in the microelectronics industry. The phenomenon of creep and its mechanisms are important aspects that influence the performance of solder alloys. During the last two decades, a Pb – solder alloys is fast becoming a reality in lead free electronic products due to harmful caused as toxic material to environment and health, international legislative pressure and marketing. The replacement of Sn – Pb alloys with Sn-Ag-Cu (SAC) alloys needs reliable results for assuring the usage of this solder joints material in electronic industry. In this paper has been studied the creep behaviour of a group of alloy in the system Sn-Ag-Cu (SAC) near the eutectic point. In this research work we have used three different alloy samples which are 95, 5Sn-3, 8Ag-0,7Cu, 96, 5Sn-3, 0Ag-0,5Cu and 95, 46Sn-3, 58Ag-0,96Cu. Indentation technique has been conducted to study the creep behaviour of these three SAC alloys by determining the creep parameters at different temperatures. The temperature used was at room temperature 30oC until 100oC and the stress used was 64MPa-178MPa for the indentation diameter 1 mm and 0.5 mm. The experimental method and results of the creep parameters like activation enthalpy Q, the stress exponent n of the power law model and the parameter of the material A were briefly described in this paper. From the creep curves, constructed for alloys and considered loads, the values of creep stress exponent n were determined for the stud ied alloys.
- I.Markja, K. Dhoska, D. Elezi, Experimental Study of Creep-behavior by using Indentation Test To Solder Alloys Sn-Ag- Cu near Eutectic‟2nd ”International Conference “Engineering and Entrepreneurship” Proceedings, Albania Tirana, 10-11 October (2019);
- K. Dhoska.; J. Kacani.; H. Oettel.; V. Ramaj. Creep Behavior of a Sn-Ag-Cu Alloy Near Room Temperature. In proceedings of the 11th International Research/Expert Conference”Trends in the Development of Machinery and Associated Technology”, Hammamet, Tunisia, 05-09 September, pp. 307- 310. (2007)
- A.S.T.M.24, “Metallographic and Materialographic Specimen Preparation” ISBN 978-0-8031-4265-7 (2007)
- Y. M.Leong.; A.S.M.A. Haseeb. Soldering Characteristics and Mechanical Properties of Sn-1.0Ag-0.5Cu Solder with Minor Aluminum Addition. Materials 2016, 9(7), 522. pp. 1-17.
- J.Gomez, C. Basaran „Nanoindentation of Pb/Sn solder alloys; experimental and finite element simulation results‟ International Journal of Solids and Structures 43 (2006) 1505– 1527
- I. Markja “Diploma Thesis: Experimental study of creep with the indentation test to solder alloys” TUF Germany and PUT Albania (2009)
- M.E. Kassner, M.T.P.Prado; Fundamentals of creep in metals and alloys; ISBN 0-08-04367-4 Elsevier (2004)
- https://www.metallurgy.nist.gov/phase/solder/agcusn.html (NIST)
- K.S. Kim, S.H. Huh, K. Suganuma, “Effects of cooling speed on microstructure and tensile properties of Sn-Ag-Cu Alloys”, Materials Science and Engineering, A333, (2002), S. 106-114.
- C.S. Ohy, J.H. Shim, B.-J. Lee , D.N. Lee, “A Thermodynamic Study on the Ag-Sb-Sn System”, Journal Allo ys and Compounds 238, (1996), S. 155-166.
- C.M. Miller, I.E. Anderson, J.F. Smith, „A Viable Tin-Lead Solder Substitute: Sn-Ag-Cu“, Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 23, No. 7, S. 595- 601; (1994).
- M.E. Loomans , M.E. Fine, “Tin-Silver-Copper Eutectic Temperature and Composition”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 31A, S. 1155-1162; (2000),
- J.Y. Park, C.U. Kim, T. Carper, V. Puligand la, “Phase Equilibria Studies of Sn-Ag-Cu Eutectic Solder Using Differential Cooling of Sn-3.8Ag-0.7Cu Alloys”, Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 32, No. 11, pp. 1297-1302; (2003)
- I. Ohnuma, M. Miyashita, K. Anzai, X.J. Liu, H. Ohtani, R Kainuma, K. Ishida, “Phase Equilibria and the Related Properties of Sn-Ag-Cu Based Pb-free Solder Alloys”, Journal of Electronic Materials, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 1137- 1144, (2000)