Dip coating is a common liquid deposition technique used in research and also for industrial production to produce polymeric, hybrid, and inorganic thin films of controlled thickness. During liquid deposition, the substrate withdrawal rate allows, in principle, easy tuning of the deposited film thickness. However, experimentally, unexplained thickness irreproducibility or strong fluctuations of sol-gel films are often observed when coating large substrates, which is a critical problem for optical coatings such as anti-reflective/reflective coatings. In this study, we present improved coatings obtained by sol gel-like multilayer structures composed of ZrO2-Y2O3 coating. The phase composition and morphology were analyzed by X-ray diffraction spectroscopy (XRD), X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), scanning electron microscopy (SEM) suitable for characterizing the surface properties of the obtained materials.
- Brinker, C. J., Hurd, A. J., Schunk, P. R., Frye, G. C. & Ashley, C. S. Review of Sol-Gel Thin Film Formation. J Non-Cryst Solids 1992, 147, 424–436.
- Brinker, C. J., Frye, G. C., Hurd, A. J. & Ashley, C. S. Fundamentals of Sol-Gel Dip Coating. Thin Solid Films 1991, 201, 97–108.
- Brinker, C. J., Lu, Y., Sellinger, A. & Fan, H. Evaporation- Induced Self-Assembly: Nanostructures Made Easy. Adv. Mater. 1999, 11, 579–585.
- Scriven, L. E. Physics and Applications of Dip-Coating and Spin Coating. in Symposium H - Better Ceramics Through Chemistry III 1988,121, 717-730.
- Takahashi, Y., Okada, S., Bel Hadj Tahar, R., Nakano, K., Ban, T. & Ohya, Y. DipCoating of ITO Films. J. Non-Cryst. Solids 1997, 218, 129–134.
- Jang, J., Nam, S., Im, K., Hur, J., Cha, S. N., Kim, J., Son, H. B., Suh, H., Loth, M. A., Anthony, J. E. et al. Highly Crystalline Soluble Acene Crystal Arrays for Organic Transistors: Mechanism of Crystal Growth During Dip-Coating. Adv. Funct. Mater. 2012, 22, 1005–1014.
- Mirri, F., Ma, A. W. K., Hsu, T. T., Behabtu, N., Eichmann, S., Young, C. C., Tsentalovich, D. E. & Pasquali, M. High- Performance Carbon Nanotube Transparent Conductive Films by Scalable Dip-Coating. ACS Nano 2012, 6, 9737–9744.
- Valle, G. G., Hammer, P., Pulcinelli, S. H. & Santilli, C. V. Transparent and Conductive ZnO:Al Thin Films Prepared by Sol- Gel Dip-Coating. J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 2004, 24, 1009– 1013.
- Cathro, K., Constable, D. & Solaga, T. Silica Low-Reflection Coatings for Collector Covers, by a Dip-Coating Process. Sol. Energy 1984, 32, 573–579.
- Sonawane, R. ., Hegde, S. . & Dongare, M. . Preparation of Titanium(IV) Oxide Thin Film Photocatalyst by Sol-Gel Dip- Coating. Mater. Chem. Phys. 2003, 77, 744–750.
- Sonawane, R. ., Kale, B. . & Dongare, M. . Preparation and Photo-Catalytic Activity of Fe/TiO2 Thin Films Prepared by Sol- Gel Dip-Coating. Mater. Chem. Phys. 2004, 85, 52–57.
- Lindqvist, K. & Lidén, E. Preparation of Alumina Membranes by Tape Casting and Dip-Coating. J. Eur. Ceram. Soc. 1997, 17, 359–366.
- Ge, C., Xie, C. & Cai, S. Preparation and Gas-Sensing Properties of Ce-Doped ZnO Thin-Film Sensors by Dip-Coating. Mater. Sci. Eng. B 2007, 137, 53–58.
- Shieh, J., Feng, H. M., Hon, M. H. & Juang, H. Y. WO3 and W/Ti/O Thin-Film Gas Sensors Prepared by Sol-Gel Dip-Coating. Sens. Actuators B Chem. 2002, 86, 75–80.
- Landau, L. & Levich, B. Dragging of a Liquid by a Moving Plate. Acta Physicochim. Urss 1942, 17, 42–54.