Researches in this paper included synthesis and characterization of bismuth telluride single crystal doped with arsenic, obtained using Bridgman method. Compounds based on bismuth telluride are very important materials for thermoelectric refrigerators and devices for electricity production. For the monocrystal characterization, SEM – EDS, Hall and Van der Pauw method were used. The results presented in paper show the synthesis of monocrystal ingot, BiTeSe doped with arsenic. An analysis of energy dispersive spectrometry (EDS) was used to determine the chemical composition of the samples studied, as well as checking and confirming the homogeneity of the samples. Measurements of X-ray diffraction (XRD) showed that the resulting crystalline ingot represent a single crystal and confirm the compound of Bi2Te3 type. Mobility, concentration, resistivity/conductivity, of majority of charge bearers and Hall coefficient of single crystal, were determined using a Hall Effect measurement system based on the Van der Pauw method. For the sample of BiTeSe doped with arsenic Hall effect was measured at room temperature with an applied magnetic field strength of 0.37 T at different current intensities. Further characterization of the BiTeSe sample doped with arsenic was not performed, because the expected improvement in the mobility of this sample in comparison with the theoretical value of the n type Bi2Te3, was not obtained.
- Atuchin, V. V., Gavrilova, T. A., Kokh, K. A., Kuratieva, N. V., Pervukhina, N. V., Surovtsev, N. V. Structural and vibrational properties of PVT grown Bi2Te3 microcrystals. Solid State Communications, 152 (2012), 1119-1122.
- Berger, L. Semiconductor materials. CRC Press, NW, USA, 1997
- Bhakti, J., Dimple, S., Ravindra, N. M. Transport Property Measurements in Doped Bi2Te3 Single Crystals Obtained via Zone Melting Method. Journal of electronic materials, 44 (6) (2015), 1509-1516.4. Bulat, L. P., Drabkin, I. A., Karatayev, V. V., Osvenskii, V. B., Parkhomenko, Y. N., Lavrentev, M. G., Sorokin, A. I., Pshenai- Severin, D. A., Blank, V. D., Pivovarov, G. I. Structure and transport properties of bulk nanothermoelectrics based on BixSb2−xTe3 fabricated by SPS method. Journal of Electronic Materials, 42 (2013), 2110-2113.
- Chen, J., Zhou, X., Uher, C., Shi, X., Jun, J., Dong, H., Li, Y., Zhou, Y., Wen, Z., Chen, L. Structural modifications and non-monotonic carrier concentration in Bi2Se0.3Te2.7 by reversible electrochemical lithium reactions. Acta Materialia, 61 (2013) 1508-1517.
- Chitroub, M., Scherrer, S., Scherrer, H. Anisotropy of the selenium diffusion coefficient in bismuth telluride, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, 61 (2000) 1693-1701.
- Cope, R. G., Penn, A.W. The powder metallurgy of n-type Bi2Te2.55Se0.45 thermoelectric material. Journal of Materials Science, 3 (1968) 103–109.
- Goldsmid, H. J. Effect of the scattering law on the maximum Seebeck coefficient. Journal of Thermoelectricity, 2 (2006) 5-8.
- Hicks, L. D., Dresselhaus, M.S. Effect of quantum-well structures on the thermoelectric figure of merit. Physical Review B, 47 (1993) 12727-12731.
- Lee, K. H., Kim, H. S., Kim, S .I., Lee, E. S., Lee, S. M., Rhyee, J. S., Jung, J. Y., Kim, I. H., Wang, Y. F., Koumoto, K. Enhancement of thermoelectric figure of merit for Bi0.5Sb1.5Te3 by metal nanoparticle decoration. Journal of Electronic Materials, 41 (2012) 1165-1169.
- Mehta, R. J., Zhang, Y., Zhu, H., Parker, D. S., Belley, M., Singh, D. J., Ramprasad, R., Borca-Tasciuc, T., Ramanath, G. Seebeck and figure of merit enhancement in nanostructured antimony telluride by antisite defect suppression through sulfur doping. Nanoletters, 12 (2012) 4523-4529
- Požega, E., Nikolić, P., Bernik, S., Gomidželović, L., Labus, N., Radovanović, M., Marjanović, S., Synthesis and investigation of BiSbTeSe single crystal doped with Zr produced using Bridgman method. Revista de Metalurgia, 53 (3) (2017)
- Goldsmid, J., Thermoelectric Refrigeration (Plenum, New York, 1964).
- Tritt, T. M. Ed. Semiconductors and Semimetals, Recent Trends in Thermoelectric Materials Research: Part One to Three (Academic, San Diego, CA, 2001), vol. 69 to 71.
- Rowe, M., Ed. CRC Handbook of Thermoelectrics (CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 1995).
- Gol'cman, B. M., Kudinov, V. A., Smirnov, I. A. Semiconductor thermoelectric materials based on Bi2Te3. 2nd ed. Moskva: Nauka, 1972. (in Russian)