The main objective of this paper is to get an accurate result of the mechanical characteristics of welded joints of structural steel performed with two different types of filler material, wire, which are characterized by: simple welding technology, low structural changes of the basic materials, as well as lower cost of welds. The whole research is conducted in accordance with European standards for welding. Research has been conducted on two standard plates made of constructive steel S355J2 + N Z15, with a thickness of 15mm, according to standard EN ISO 15614-1. Both plates are welded with solid wire and metal cored wire under the protection of a gas mixture based on argon, and the whole process is supported by standard documentation. Destructive tests have been performed to determine the welded joints’ quality and influence of different filler materials, such as tensile test, impact test, and hardness test in the weld and heat-affected zone. The experimental results confirm that the gas metal arc welding of structural steel in the protection of inert gas with solid and metal cored wire is a procedure that ensures the quality and safety of welded joints and retention properties of the base material after the welding process.
- Agrawal B.P. and Kumar R.: Challenges in application of pulse current gas metal arc welding process for preparation of weld joint with superior quality. International Journal Engineering Research Technology, vol.5, (2016), pp.319–327.
- Pal K. and Pal S.K., Effect of pulse parameters on weld quality in pulsed gas metal arc welding: a review. Journal. Material. Engineering Perform., 20, (2011), pp.918–931.
- Balakrishnan M., et al. Post fire tensile properties of S355J2 structural steel welded connections for construction industrial applications. Metallurgical Research and Technology. 119 (551), (2022), pp. 1-17.
- Germanischer Lloyd Aktiengesellschaft: Rules for Classification and Construction - Materials and Welding. Hamburg, Germany (2000).
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 15614-1:2017 Specification and qualification of welding procedures for metallic materials — Welding procedure test — Part 1: Arc and gas welding of steels and arc welding of nickel and nickel alloys (2017).
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 4136:2012 Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials — Transverse tensile test (2012).
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 9016:2002 Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials — Impact tests — Test specimen location, notch orientation and examination (2012).
- International Organization for Standardization, ISO 9015-1:2013 Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials — Hardness testing — Part 1: Hardness test on arc welded joints (2012).
- Tomar B., Fatigue analyses of GMAW welds of thermo-mechanically processed 700MC ultra high strength steel. International Journal of Research in Engineering, Science and Management, 3(3), (2020), pp. 220-225.
- Nguyen T.C., Weckman D.C. and Johnson D.A., The discontinuous weld bead defect in high-speed gas metal arc welds. Weld Journal, 86, (2007), pp.360-372.