Titanium rich alloys of Ti-Al-C and Ti-Al-B system was synthesised by Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS) and Field Activated Pressure Assisted Sintering (FAPAS) methods with altering sintering temperatures in the range of 950°C-1020°C with different current for the duration of 5 minutes. The initial powders of the composite 85%Ti and 15%Al was processed by High Velocity Energy Distribution (HVED) in a solution of kerosene at the specific energy of 25MJ/kg to reduce the size of the particles to nano-scale. This method of using different parameters of production technology have helped to analyse the most efficient, energy saving, and less waste generation technological process with improved mechanical properties. The metal-based samples were examined by optical and electron microscopy. Mechanical properties of composites were determined by measuring microhardness.
The aim of the investigation was to determine the dependence between parameters of production technology and properties of Ti-AlC composites.
- VENKATESH, B.; and HARISH, B. Mechanical Properties of Metal Matrix Composites (Al/SiCp) Particles Produced by Powder Metallurgy. International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, 2015, vol. 3, no. 1. pp. 1277-1284.
- WANG, Ping, et al. Fabrication of Ti2AlC by Spark Plasma Sintering from Elemental Powders and Thermodynamics Analysis of Ti-Al-C System. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology- Mater.Sci.Ed., 2007, vol. 22, no. 2. pp. 325-328.
- WANG, Dongjun; YUAN, Haoand QIANG, Jianming. The Microstructure Evolution, Mechanical Properties and Densification Mechanism of TiAl-Based Alloys Prepared by Spark Plasma Sintering. Metals, 2017, vol. 7, no. 6. pp. 201.
- MAGNUS, Carl, et al. Microstructural Evolution and Wear Mechanism of Ti3AlC2 – Ti2AlC Dual MAX Phase Composite Consolidated by Spark Plasma Sintering (SPS). Wear, 2019, vol. 438-439. pp. 203013. Available from <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004316481930 7227>. ISSN 0043-1648.
- GALYSHEV, S. N., et al. High-Temperature Firing of Composite Based on the MAX-Phase of the Ti–Al–C System. Refractories and Industrial Ceramics, 2018, vol. 58, no. 5. pp. 557- 561.
- ASTM E3-11:2017. Standard Guide for Preparation of Metallographic Specimens, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2017, www.astm.org.
- RIAZ, S.; FLOWER, H. M.and WEST, DRF. Phase Relationships Involving TiC and Ti3AlC (P Phase) in Ti–Al–C System. Materials Science and Technology, 2000, vol. 16, no. 9. pp. 984-992.
- SYZONENKO, O., et al. High-Energy Synthesis of Metalomatric Composites Hardened by Max Phases of Ti-Al-C System. Machines.Technologies.Materials., 2018, vol. 12, no. 10. pp. 395- 397.