Public relations (PR) is a scientific discipline that deals with the creation and maintenance of mutual understanding between an organization or an individual. The term “public relations” appeared in 1987 in an annual US railroad. Since then, a large number of national and international associations, institutions and agencies have been established. Also, many universities in the world have formed faculties and faculties established special departments and chairs for public relations (PR). The paper presents an overview of the emergence of public relations (PR), a review of the international association and public relations institute and the state public relations
(PR) in Serbia.
- D. Baack, & K. Clow, “Integrated advertising, promotion, and marketing communications”, 5th edition, Pearson Education Inc., Upper Saddle River, NY, USA, 2012.
- G. Broom & D. Dozier, “Using research in public relations: Applications to program management”, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1990.
- M. Cutlip, A. Center & G. Broom, “Effective public relations”, 6th edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 1985.
- D. Dozier, “The innovation of research in public relations practice: Review of program studies”, in: Public Relations Research Annual, vol. 2, Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah, New Jersey, USA, pp. 3-28. 1990.
- W. Ehling, “Estimating the value of public relations and communication to an organization”, in: Excellence in Public Relations and Communication Management, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, New Jersey, USA, pp. 617-638. 1992.
- M. Fredriksson, & J. Pallas, “Much ado about media: Public relations in public agencies inthe wake of managerialism”, Public Relations Review, vol. 42, issue 4, pp. 600-606. 2016. doi: 10.1016/j.pubrev.2016.03.016.
- J. Gehrt, & C. Moffitt, “Strategic public relations”, Bookbyte Digital, Salem, OR, USA, 2009.
- J. Grunig & T. Hunt, “Managing public relations”, Rinehart & Winston, Orlando, Florida, USA 1984.
- E.-J. Ki, & L. Ye, “An assessment of progress in research on global public relations from 2001 to 2014”. Public Relations Review, vol. 43, issue 1, pp. 235-245, 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.pubrev.2016.12.005.
- L. Lee & Y. Yoon, “Return on investment (ROI) of international public relations: A country-level analysis”, Public Relations Review, vol. 36, issue 1, pp. 15-20. 2010.
- F. Likely & T. Watson, “Measuring the edifice: Public relations measurement and evaluation practices over the course of 40 years”, in: Current Trends and Emerging Topics in Public Relations and Communication Management, Routledge, New York, USA, pp. 143-162. 2013.
- W. Lindenmann, “Guidelines and standards for measuring and evaluating PR effectiveness”, Institute for Public Relations, Gainesville, Florida, USA, 2003.
- W. Macey & B. Schneider, “The meaning of employee engagement”, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, vol. 1, pp. 3-30. 2008.
- J. Macnamara, “Emerging international standards for measurement and evaluation of public relations: A critical analysis”, Public Relations Inquiry, vol 3, issue 1, pp. 7-29, 2014.
- J. Macnamara, “Public relations theories, practices critiques”, Pearson, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2012.
- J. Macnamara, “Research in public relations: A review of the use of evaluation and formative research”, Asia Pacific Public Relations Review, vol. 1, issue 2, pp. 107-133. 1999.
- J. Macnamara, “The development international standards for measurement and evaluation of public relations and corporate communication: A review”, Technical Report, University of Technology Sydney (UTS), Australian Centre for Public Communication, Broadway, NSW, Australia, 2014.
- J. Meng & B. Berger, “Measuring return on investment (ROI) organizations’ internal communication effort”, Journal of Communication Management, vol. 16, Issue 4, pp. 332-354. 2012.
- D. Michaelson & D Stacks, “Standardization in public relations measurement and evaluation”, Public Relations Journal, vol. 2, pp. 1-22, 2011.
- K. Mogensen, “From public relations to corporate public diplomacy”, Public Relations Review, vol. 43. pp. 605-614. 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.pubrev.2017.03.011.
- A. Okay & A. Okay, “The place of theory in public relations practice”, in: Public Relations: From Theory to Practice, Pearson, Boston, MA, USA, 301-342. 2008.
- N. Rodríguez-Salcedo, & T. Watson, “The development of public relations in dictatorships - Southern and Eastern European perspectives from 1945 to 1990”, Public Relations Review, vol. 43, pp. 375-381. 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.pubrev.2017.01.001.
- F.P. Seitel, “The practice of public relations”, 10th edition, Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2007.
- D.M. Scott, “The new rules of marketing and PR”, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2013.
- D. Stacks, “Primer of public relations research”, 2nd edition, The Guildford Press, New York, USA, 2011.
- D. Stacks & S. Bowen (editors), “Dictionary of public relations measurement and research”, Institute for Public Relations (IPR), Gainesville, Florida, USA, 2013.
- T. Watson, “Public relations research priorities: A Delphi study”, Journal of Communication Management, vol. 12, issue 2, pp. 104-123, 2008.
- T. Watson, “The evolution of public relations measurement and evaluation”, Public Relations Review, vol. 38, issue 3, pp. 390- 398, 2012.
- T. Watson & P. Noble, “Evaluating public relations: A best practice guide to public relations planning, research and evaluation”, 2nd edition. Kogan Page, London, UK and Philadelphia, PA, USA 2007.
- D. Wright & M. Hinson, “Examining how social and emerging media have been used in public relations between 2006 and 2012: A longitudinal analysis”, Public Relations Journal, vol. 6, issue 4, pp. 1-40, 2012.