The Energy Efficiency Directive (2012/27/EU) established a set of binding measures to help the EU achieve its 20% energy efficiency target by the year 2020. New directive is called Energy Efficiency Directive (EED). According to INSTAT (Institute of Statistics) the share of non-residential building sector in Albania is approximately 20.6 %. Public buildings with all the sub-categories have a significant contribution on energy demand in buildings. Therefore, according to the new law No.116/2016 “For energy performance in buildings” since 2018 public buildings with area higher than 250m2 are subject of this law for certification of energy performance in buildings. Regarding the National Energy Strategy 2018-2030 Albania’s target is set to 15 % for energy savings in the sector. This article deals with identification of energy efficiency problems in the public building sector in Albania. Typology of the buildings mainly constructed before the 1990 has poor energy efficiency measures, due to the lack of the investments. Thermal imaging was identified as an necessary procedure for scanning of the building. Energy consumption and building characteristics through thermal imaging have been investigated with the aim to improve the energy performance of the public buildings. This will contribute to optimize the energy efficiency measures by
- Institute of Statistics, www.instat.gov.al
- National Energy Agency, www.infrastruktura.gov.al
- Lucchi, E. Applications of the infrared thermography in the energy audit of buildings: A review, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2017.10.031
- Thumann A, Jounger WJ. Handbook of energy audits. VII ed. Lilburn: The Fairmont Press; 2008.
- Kaplan, H. Practical Applications of Infrared Thermal Sensing and Imaging Equipment, 2nd Edition, International Society for Optical Engineering, Belingham, WA, 1992,160pp.
- Barreira E, Almeida RM, Delgado JM. Infrared thermography for assessing moisture related phenomena in building components. Constr Build Mater (2016) 110, pp.251–69
- Balaras, C.A; Argiriou, A.A“Infrared termography for building diagnostics” Energy and Building, 34 (2002) pp.171-183
- Barreira, E. Almeida, R.M.S.F. Delgado, J.M.Q.P, “Infrared thermography for assessing moisture related phenomena in building components”. Construction and Building Materials 110 (2016), pp.251-269