The object of the study is the part of the galvanized steel pipe (about 1-meter-long) supplied by the customers, which was used to supply hot water inside the residential building and which has corroded during exploitation of 5 years. To clarify the situation, quality of surface coating and microstructure of the obtained galvanized steel pipe was analysed. Electrical stray currents of the pipeline installed in the building were measured. The sample of the hot water was taken and analysed at the certificated laboratory.
The aim of the investigation was to determine the possible causes of the hot water supply pipe corrosion during sufficiently short time of exploitation.
- A. Andrianov, D Spitsov. Corrosion of galvanized pipes in the hot water supply system, MATEC Web of Conferences 106, 03028, 2017.
- M. Carbucicchio, R. Ciprian, F. Ospitali, G. Palombarini. Morphology and phase composition of corrosion products formed at the zinc–iron interface of a galvanized steel. Corrosion Science, Vol. 50 p. 2605–2613, 2008.
- C. Noble. Corrosion of Galvanized Piping in Domestic Water Systems. The Conduit, Vol. 12, No. 1, p. 1-3, 2013.
- Corrosion resistance of zinc in water. Corrosion Technical Bulletin 5, May 2019. Revision 5.
- S. Goidanich. Influence of Alternating Current On Metals Corrosion, Ph.D. Thesis in Materials Engineering, 160 p., 2002- 2005.
- W. F. Langelier. The analytical control of anti-corrosion water treatment, Journal of the American Water Works Association, Vol. 28, Iss. 10, pp 1500-1521, 1936.
- W. F. Langelier. Chemical equilibria in water treatment, Journal of the American Water Works Association, Vol. 38 Iss. 2, p. 169- 178. 1946.
- 2330-B Standart Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater.
- J. W. Ryznar. A new index for determining amount of scale formed in water, Journal of the American Water Works Association, Vol. 36 Iss. 2, p. 472-486, 1949.
- R. Puckorius, J. M. Brooke. A new practical index for calcium carbonate scale prediction in cooling system, corrosion, p. 280-284, April 1991.
- P. R. Puckorius, G. R. Loretitsch. Cooling water scale and scaling indices: what they mean – how to use them effectively – how they can cut treatment costs, Paper IWC-47, International Water Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, 1999.
- ASTM E3-11:2017. Standard Guide for Preparation of Metallographic Specimens, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2017, www.astm.org.
- A. Šulčius. Corrosion of Metals. Kaunas: Technologija p. 212, 1995 [in Lithuanian].
- ISO 14713-1:2017, Zinc coatings — Guidelines and recommendations for the protection against corrosion of iron and steel in structures — Part 1: General principles of design and corrosion resistance.
- T. E. Larson, R. V. Skold. Laboratory Studies Relating Mineral Quality of Water to Corrosion of Steel and Cast Iron (1958) Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign, IL pp. 43-46: ill. ISWS C-71.