Investigation of Heat-Treated Steels Using the Magnetic Noise Method
- 1 Institute of Mechanics at Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
- 2 Sofia Univers ity “St.Kliment Ohridski”, Faculty of Physics, Sofia, Bulgaria
This paper presents the results of an investigation conducted on samples of high-quality heat-treated carbon steel using the magnetic noise method. The objective of the work was to find the proper informative parameters for identifying the obtained s tructures with different hardness. To this end, samples were prepared using quenching and tempering heat treatment at different temperatures , from 150°C to 500°C. After microstructural analysis and hardness measurements, the samples were investigated using the magnetic noise method. The signals were visualized and analyzed using a digital oscilloscope and the Multi Instrument 3.8 software program. The RMS informative parameters and the registration time of the magnetic noise signals were used to identify the obtained microstructures with different characteristics and hardness.
- Barkhausen Noise for Non-destructive Testing and Materials
- Characterization in low carbon steels, ed.by Tu Le Manh, Duxford Woodhead Publishing, Elsevier Ltd (2020)
- B. Nahak, Material Characterization using Barkhausen Noise Analysis Technique - A Review, Indian J Sci Technol. 10, 14 (2017)
- E. S. Gorkunov, Yu. N. Dragoshanskii, M. Mikhovski, Barkhausen Noise and its Utilization in Structural Analysis of Ferromagnetic Materials, Review Article V, Russ. J. Nondestruct. Test. 36, 6 (2000)
- A. Sorsa, Prediction of material properties based on nondestructive Barkhausen noise measurement, Acad. dissertation, University of Oulu, OULU 2013.
- J. Capo-sanchez, J.A. Perez-Benitez, L.A. Padovese, C. Serna- Giraldo, Dependence of the magnetic Barkhausen emission with carbon content in commercial steels, J. Mater. Sci. 39 (2004)
- C. Gatelier-Rothea, J. Chicois, R. Fougeres, P. Fleischmann, Characterization of pure iron and (130 ppm) carbon–iron binary alloy by Barkhausen noise measurements: study of the influence of stress and microstructure, Acta Mater. 46 (1998)
- V. Moorthy, S. Vaidyanathan, T. Jayakumar, B. Raj, On the influence of tempered microstructure on the magnetic Barkhausen emission in ferritic steels, Philos. Mag. A 77 (1998)
- O. Saquet, J. Chicois, A. Vincent, Barkhausen Noise from plain carbon steels: Analysis of the influence of microstructure, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 269 (1991)
- P!erez-Beniteza J.A., L.R. Padovese, Investigation of the magnetic Barkhausen noise using elementary signals parameters in 1000 commercial steel, J. Magn. Magn. Mater 263, 1–2 (2003)
- L. Clapham, C. Jagadish, D.L. Atherton, The influence of pearlite on Barkhausen noise generation in plain carbon steels, Acta Metall. Mater. 39 (1991)
- F. A. Franco , M.F.R. González, M.F. de Campos, L.R. Padovese, Relation between magnetic Barkhausen noise and hardness for jominy quench tests in SAE 4140 and 6150 steels, J Nondestruct. Eval 32 (2013)
- K. Davut, C.H. Gur, Monitoring the microstructural evolution in spheroidised steel by magnetic Barkhausen noise measurements, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Barkhausen Noise and Micromagnetic Testing, ICBM-7, July 15–16, 2009, Aachen, Germany.
- Zerovnik P.l., D. Fefer, J. Grum, Surface integrity characterization based on time-Delay of the magnetic Barkhauseн noise voltage signal, Journai of Mechanicai Engineering 60, 1 (2014)
- C.C.H. Lo, C.B. Scruby, G.D. Smith, Dependences of magnetic Barkhausen emission and magnetoacoustic emission on the microstructure of pearlitic steel, Philos. Mag. 84 (18) (2004)
- F. Noris Leosdan et al., Continuous Scanning Technique with Barkhausen Magnetic Noise for Carbon Steel Sheets, Mat. Res. 22, 1 (2019)
- G. Velev, A. Markovski, Investigation of the structure of ferro-magnetic materials using methodology based on Barkhausen effect, 7 Int. Conference on Barkhausen noise and Micromagnetic testing, July 15-16, 2009.
- G. Totten, Steel heat treatment handbook, Metallurgy and technologies (Taylor and Fransis Group LLC, NW, 2006)
- C. Gür, Çam İbrahim, Comparison of magnetic Barkhausen noise and ultrasonic velocity measurements for microstructure evaluation of SAE 1040 and SAE 4140 steels, Mater. Charact. 58 (2007)