Additive manufacturing approach is thought to be a key element to meet the needs of Industry 4.0. Selective laser melting (SLM) is a powder bed fusion additive manufacturing method for producing fully functional components. It is critical to determine the fatigue behavior of components produced by selective laser melting in order to fulfill the needs of industries with rigorous norms and criteria, such as the aviation industry. However, the rapid heating and cooling cycle caused by the nature of the SLM process has a negative mechanical effect on the components manufactured by this process.. Mechanical properties such as hardness and fatigue behavior should be disclosed for Co-Cr-Mo alloy manufactured by SLM technique. In this study, hardness and fatigue tests were performed on Co-Cr-Mo alloy components manufactured by SLM, and microstructure images were acquired and evaluated. When the microstructure of the samples was analyzed, tiny precipitates localized at the grain boundaries were discovered, along with the dominating γ phase. The average hardness value of the samples subjected to the Vickers microhardness test was 482±10. The fatigue life of the samples at the maximum stress of 800 MPa was 47,351 cycles. At the minimum stress of 400 MPa, the fatigue life exceeded 107 cycles. When fatigue fracture surfaces were examined, flat fracture surfaces similar to semi-cleavage were detected. The results will contribute to the literature on the mechanical characterization of SLM manufactured Co-Cr-Mo alloy components.
- Additive Manufacturing in Industry 4.0. (n.d.). https://www.esa-automation.com/en/additive-manufacturing-in-industry-4-0/ (accessed November 24, 2022).
- S.M. Ahmadi, R. Hedayati, Y. Li, K. Lietaert, N. Tümer, A. Fatemi, C.D. Rans, B. Pouran, H. Weinans, A.A. Zadpoor, Fatigue performance of additively manufactured meta-biomaterials: The effects of topology and material type. Acta Biomater., 65, 292–304, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ACTBIO.2017.11.014.
- N. Kittikundecha, Y. Kajima, A. Takaichi, H.H. Wai Cho, H.L. Htat, H. Doi, H. Takahashi, T. Hanawa, N. Wakabayashi, Fatigue properties of removable partial denture clasps fabricated by selective laser melting followed by heat treatment. J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater., 98, 79–89, (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JMBBM.2019.06.010.
- M. Antanasova, A. Kocjan, J. Kovač, B. Žužek, P. Jevnikar, Influence of thermo-mechanical cycling on porcelain bonding to cobalt-chromium and titanium dental alloys fabricated by casting, milling, and selective laser melting. J. Prosthodont. Res., 62, 184–194, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPOR.2017.08.007.
- S.M.J. Razavi, A. Avanzini, G. Cornacchia, L. Giorleo, F. Berto, Effect of heat treatment on fatigue behavior of as-built notched Co-Cr-Mo parts produced by Selective Laser Melting. Int. J. Fatigue, 142, 105926, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2020.105926.
- X. Dong, Y. Zhou, Q. Sun, Y. Qu, H. Shi, W. Liu, H. Peng, B. Zhang, S. Xu, J. Yan, N. Li, Fatigue behavior of biomedical Co–Cr–Mo–W alloy fabricated by selective laser melting. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 795, 140000, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2020.140000.
- J. Schweiger, J.F. Güth, K.J. Erdelt, D. Edelhoff, O. Schubert, Internal porosities, retentive force, and survival of cobalt–chromium alloy clasps fabricated by selective laser-sintering. J. Prosthodont. Res., 64, 210–216, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPOR.2019.07.006.
- J. Haan, M. Asseln, M. Zivcec, J. Eschweiler, R. Radermacher, C. Broeckmann, Effect of subsequent Hot Isostatic Pressing on mechanical properties of ASTM F75 alloy produced by Selective Laser Melting. Http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1179/0032589915Z.000000000236, 58, 161–165, (2015). https://doi.org/10.1179/0032589915Z.000000000236.
- E. Seki, Y. Kajima, A. Takaichi, N. Kittikundecha, H.H.W. Cho, H.L. Htat, H. Doi, T. Hanawa, N. Wakabayashi, Effect of heat treatment on the microstructure and fatigue strength of CoCrMo alloys fabricated by selective laser melting. Mater. Lett., 245, 53–56, (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2019.02.085.
- ISO 1099:2017, ISO 1099-Metallic materials-Fatigue testing, Axial force-controlled methods, 2017.
- ISO 468:1982, ISO - ISO 468:1982 - Surface roughness — Parameters, their values and general rules for specifying requirements. (1982). https://www.iso.org/standard/4496.html (accessed September 12, 2021).
- E04 Committee, Test Method for Microindentation Hardness of Materials. (n.d.). https://doi.org/10.1520/E0384-22.
- R.R. Little, Manual on Statistical Planning and Analysis. Man. Stat. Plan. Anal., (1975). https://doi.org/10.1520/STP588-EB.
- M. Zhang, Y. Yang, C. Song, Y. Bai, Z. Xiao, Effect of the heat treatment on corrosion and mechanical properties of CoCrMo alloys manufactured by selective laser melting. Rapid Prototyp. J., 24, 1235–1244, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1108/RPJ-10-2017-0215/FULL/PDF.
- K. Ishida, T. Nishizawa, The Co-Cr (Cobalt-Chromium) system. Bull. Alloy Phase Diagrams 1990 114, 11, 357– 370, (1990). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02843315.
- K.G. Prashanth, J. Eckert, Formation of metastable cellular microstructures in selective laser melted alloys. J. Alloys Compd., 707, 27–34, (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JALLCOM.2016.12.209.
- Q. Shi, Y. Sun, S. Yang, J. Van Dessel, H.T. Lübbers, S. Zhong, Y. Gu, M. Bila, T. Dormaar, J. Schoenaers, C. Politis, Failure analysis of an in-vivo fractured patient-specific Ti6Al4V mandible reconstruction plate fabricated by selective laser melting. Eng. Fail. Anal., 124, (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENGFAILANAL.2021.105353.
- B. AlMangour, M. Luqman, D. Grzesiak, H. Al-Harbi, F. Ijaz, Effect of processing parameters on the microstructure and mechanical properties of Co–Cr–Mo alloy fabricated by selective laser melting. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 792, 139456, (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MSEA.2020.139456.
- Y. Kajima, A. Takaichi, N. Kittikundecha, T. Nakamoto, T. Kimura, N. Nomura, A. Kawasaki, T. Hanawa, H. Takahashi, N. Wakabayashi, Effect of heat-treatment temperature on microstructures and mechanical properties of Co–Cr–Mo alloys fabricated by selective laser melting. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 726, 21–31, (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.04.048.