Improving the corrosion resistance of carbon steel cylindrical pipe by nano-materials coating, part -2
- 1 Leeds University, U.K
- 2 Engineering Faculty, Mutah University, AlKark, Jordan
This part is a continuation of Part-1, which was studying the effect of anti-corrosion nano-materials coating using zinc (Zn) and cobalt (Co) on corrosion resistance and its relationship with mechanical properties. While, part 2 was on studying the linear stresses resistance after coating by using the same nanomaterials of paret-1 of carbon steel pipe and their relationship with chemical corrosion resistance using finite element analysis (FEA). The coating was tested with different thicknesses of nano-layers (300 μm, 600 μm, 900 μm, 10 μm) on a thick-walled cylindrical pipe subjected to a uniformly distributed internal pressure of 4 bars. The results showed that the value of linear normal stresses did not change when coating with 300 μm for both nano-coating materials. However, it was started to decrease slightly when covered with 600 μm of cobalt and continues to decrease with increasing the coating thickness. In addition, the results have shown that the overall improvement in linearized normal stresses and corrosion resistance due to cobalt coating can be about (66 %) higher in comparison with Zinc at 10 μm thickness of coating.
- Abdeen, D., El Hachach, M., Koc, M., & Atieh, M. (2019). A Review on the Corrosion Behavior of Nano coatings on Metallic Substrates. Materials, 12(2)
- ASTM A53 / A53M-18, Standard Specification for Pipe, Steel, Black and Hot-Dipped, Zinc-Coated, Welded and Seamless, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2018, www.astm.org).
- Al-Juboori, S., Albtoosh, M., 2019. Improving the Mechanical Properties of Conventional Materials by Nano-coating, part-1. V International Scientific Conference Матеrial Science „Nonequilibrium Phase Transformations”, Varna, Bulgaria.
- Al-Juboori, S., Albtoosh, M., 2019Improving the Linearized stresses resistance by Nano-Coating, Part- 2 Proceeding of International Scientific Conference High Technologies. Business. Society09-11.03.2020, Borovets, Bulgaria, Year V, Issue 2 (8), Sofia, Bulgaria 2020
- Al-Juboori S. and Dana Alshamaileh, Improving the Corrosion Resistance by nano-Materials Coating, part-1, v international scientific conference material science no equilibrium phase transformations 09 - 12 September 2019, Varna, Bulgaria
- Beyene, F. (2016). A Review on nano-coating of Metallic Structures to Improve Hardness and Maintaining Toughness. I-manager’s Journal on Material Science, 4(1), 32-40.
- Cosham, A., Hopkins, P., & Macdonald, K. (2007). Best practice for the assessment of defects in pipelines – Corrosion. Engineering Failure Analysis, 14(7), 1245–1265.
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, Robert C. Weast, Ed. 62 Edition, Crc Press, Boca Raton, FL,1981. http://www.matweb.com/index.aspx
- Darvell, B. (2018). Corrosion. Materials Science for Dentistry, 382–398.Dhoke, S. Khanna, A. & Sinha, T. (2009). “Effect of nano-ZnO particles on the corrosion behavior of alkyd-based waterborne coatings.” Progress in Organic Coatings, 64(4), 371–382.
- Farag, A. (2020). Applications of nanomaterials in corrosion protection coatings and inhibitors. Corrosion Reviews.
- Ferreira, M. Zheludkevich, M. & Tedim, J. (2011). Advanced protective coatings for aeronautical applications. Nanocoatings and Ultra-Thin Films, 235–279.
- Jose, R., Sakho, E. hadji M., Parani, S., Thomas, S., Oluwafemi, O. S., & Wu, J. (2019). Introduction to nanomaterials: synthesis and applications. Nanomaterials for Solar Cell Applications, 75–95.
- HEARN, E. (1997). THICK CYLINDERS. Mechanics of Materials 1, 215–253.
- Hou, Y., Lei, D., Li, S., Yang, W., & Li, C.-Q. (2016). Experimental Investigation on Corrosion Effect on Mechanical Properties of Buried Metal Pipes. International Journal of Corrosion, 2016, 1–13.
- Gao, Y., Ward, L., Fan, L., Li, H., & Liu, Z. (2019). A study of the use of polyaspartic acid derivative composite for the corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in a seawater environment. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 111634.
- Klarstrom, D., & Crook, P. (2001). Cobalt Alloys: Properties and Applications. Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, 1281–1288.
- Khodair, Z. Khadom, A. & Jasim, H. (2018). Corrosion protection of mild steel in different aqueous media via epoxy/nanomaterial coating: preparation, characterization and mathematical views. Journal of Materials Research and Technology.
- Lynch, R. (2001). Zinc: Alloying, Thermomechanical Processing, Properties, and Applications. Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, 9869–9883.
- Li, L., Li, C.-Q., & Mahmoodian, M. (2019). Effect of Applied Stress on Corrosion and Mechanical Properties of Mild Steel. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 31(2), 04018375.
- Mutahhar, F., Aithan, G., Iski, E. V., Keller, M. W., Shirazi, S., & P. Roberts, K. (2017). Mechanistic modeling of erosion–corrosion for carbon steel. Trends in Oil and Gas Corrosion Research and Technologies, 749–763.
- Nguyen Tri, Nguyen, T. Rtimi, S., & Ouellet Plamondon, C. (2019). Nanomaterials-based coatings: an introduction. Nanomaterials-Based Coatings, 1–7.
- Païdoussis, M. (2016). Cylindrical Shells Containing or Immersed in Flow. Fluid-Structure Interactions, 1–141. Pressure System Design. (2012). Lees’ Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 509–617.
- Qu, Z., Wang, L., Tang, H., Ye, H., & Li, M. (2019). Effect of Nano-SnS and Nano-MoS2 on the Corrosion Protection Performance of the Polyvinylbutyral and Zinc-Rich Polyvinylbutyral Coatings. Nanomaterials, 9(7), 956.
- Solatani, H., Tavoosi, M., & Loghman-Estarki, M. R. (2019). Fe-Ni composite coatings reinforced with SiC nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes: corrosion and tribological performance. Materials Research Express.
- Sankara, T. (2012). Nanocoatings to improve the tribocorrosion performance of materials. Corrosion Protection and Control Using Nanomaterials, 167–212.