Determining the quality of renovation layers by using nano HVOF coatings
- 1 Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technical university of Kosice, Slovakia
The paper presents the results of the research aimed at determining the quality of coatings applied by the HVOF spray coating technology and the advances in its application. WC-Co-Cr 86/10/4 nano covers were evaluated at two grain sizes. The effect of nano particle size on coatings quality was evaluated under abrasive wear conditions with bound abrasive in the initial state and after thermal cyclic loading. Coating thickness measurements, microhardness and structural analysis of the coatings were performed. As the number of thermal cycles increased, the hardness of the coatings increased. A thermal load between 600 and 800 ° C results in the crystallization of the amorphous phase, which leads to the precipitation of the WC phase from the Co-Cr matrix, and thus to an increase in the microhardness of the coating. The REM analysis of the structure of nano coatings confirmed that the exposure of the samples to the thermal load had an influence on their structural composition. As the number of thermal cycles increased, the wear of the coatings under dry friction conditions increased.
- A. S. H Makhlouf, I. Tiginyanu, Nanocoatings and ultra-thin films. Technologies and applications. Woodhead Publishing Limited (2011).
- G. Matthäus,M. Molnar, Advanced coating solutions, nanoHVOF-for the most demanding OD and ID applications with WC-CoCr86 10 4 Thermico, (2010).
- B.J. Harder, D. ZHU: Plasma spray-physical vapour deposition (PS-PVD) of ceramics for protective coatings. NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland OH 44135. Advanced Ceramic Coatings and Materials for Extreme Environments: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, Vol. 32.John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (2011).
- B. Xu, W. Zhang, Progress and application of nano-surface engineering in China. In: Novel Materials Processing by Advanced Electromagnetic Energy Sources(2005).
- A. Killinger, R. Gadow, G. Mauer, A. Guignard, R .Vaßen, D. Stöver, Review of New Developments in Suspension and Solution Precursor Thermal Spray Processes. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology. Vol. 20(4) 677-695, (2011).
- G. Bolelli et al., Cermet coatings with Fe-based matrix as alternative to WC–CoCr: Mechanical and tribological behaviours. Surface and Coatings Technology,Vol. 206, 19–20, p.4079-4094, (2012).
- A. Guzanová, J. Brezinová, M. Landová, Green carbides - innovation in thermal spraying coatings. In: Innovations. Vol. 6, no. 2 p. 68-71, (2018).
- B. Wielage, A. Wank, H. Pokhmurska, T. Grund, Ch. Rupprecht, G.Reisel, E. Friesen, Development and trends in HVOF spraying technology. Surface & Coatings Technology 201, 2032- 2037(2006).
- Upadhyaya, R.; Tailor. S.; Shrivastava Sh.; Modi, S. C. High performance thermal-sprayed WC-10Co-4Cr coatings in narrow and complex areas. SURFACE ENGINEERING, 2017. 10pp. Dostupné na internete:
- G.Ghosh, A. Sidpara, A.Sidpara, P.P. Bandyopadhyay: Post-processing of HVOF sprayed WC-Co coating to enhance its performance. In book: Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable MaterialsPublisher: Elsevier.2018.
- R. C. Panziera, A. C. Costa de Oliveira, M. Pereira, F. Ratszunei: Study of the effects of the laser remelting process on the microstructure and properties of the WC–10Co–4Cr coating sprayed by HVOF. Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 42, 119 (2020).
- G. Ghosh, A. Sidpara, P.P. Bandyopadhyay: High efficiency chemical assisted nanofinishing of HVOF sprayed WC-Co coating. Surface and Coatings Technology 334:204–214(2017).
- Sampath, S.; Srinivasan, V.; Valarezo, A.; Vaidya, A.; Streibl, T. Sensing, control, and in situ measurement of coating properties: An integrated approach toward establishing process-property correlations. J. Therm. Spray Technol., 18, 243–255, (2009).
- A. Ang, N. Sanpo, M. L. Sesso, S.Y. Kim, Ch. Berndt: Thermal Spray Maps: Material Genomics of Processing Technologies.Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 2013 Vol. 22(7),1170- 1183, (2013_.
- Vaidya, A.; Streibl, T.; Li, L.; Sampath, S.; Kovarik, O.; Greenlaw, R. An integrated study of thermal spray process-structure-property correlations: A case study for plasma sprayed molybdenum coatings. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 403, 191–204, (2005).
- M. Oksa, E. Turunen, T. Suhonen, T. Varis, S.-P. Hannula:Optimization and Characterization of High Velocity Oxy-fuel Sprayed Coatings: Techniques, Materials, and Applications. Coatings, 1(1), 17-52, (2011).
- Valarezo, A.; Choi, W.B.; Chi, W.; Gouldstone, A.; Sampath, S. Process control and characterization of NiCr coatings by HVOF-DJ2700 system: A process map approach. J. Therm. Spray Technol., 19, 852–865, (2010).
- Turunen, E.; Varis, T.; Hannula, S.-P.; Vaidya, A.; Kulkarni, A.; Gutleber, J.; Sampath, S.; Herman, H. On the role of particle state and deposition procedure on mechanical, tribological and dielectric response of high velocity oxy-fuel sprayed alumina coatings. Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 415, 1–11 (2006).
- E.Turunen, T. Varis, T.E. Gustafsson, J. Keskinen, T. Fält, S. Hannula, Parameter optimization of HVOF sprayed nanostructured alumina and alumina–nickel composite coatings. Surface & Coatings Technology 200 4987 – 4994, (2006).
- A. Guzanová A., J. Brezinová J., D. Draganovská, P.O. Maruschak, Properties of coatings created by HVOF technology using micro-and nano-sized powder. Koroze a ochrana materiálu 63(2) 86-93 (2019).